cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Full-text-search not working for Plus

Full-text-search not working for Plus

jgp
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm currently trying the Plus plan in order to substitute my Evernote account. One of the needed features is the "full-text-search" and as stated in dropbox webpage: "If you're a Dropbox Plus, Professional, or Business user, you have access to a feature called full-text search, which can find files by file name, extension, or keyword within the file."

However, I haven't been able to find anything on PDF or txt files (tried website and dropbox app). Is this feature really working for Plus plan? Does it work for IOS too?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jgp
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi!

Just tried again few minutes ago and now its working! Maybe you have to wait some days before the "full-text-search" feature is actually activated for a new Plus account?

Anyway, thank you for your support!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @jgp, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Full text search is indeed supported on iOS devices and for the file types that you mentioned. However, there may be certain circumstances where it isn't.

Firstly, can you let me know if you're possibly searching for text in another language other than English? This feature is only available in certain languages, so if you're not seeing results from within file content then it isn't yet available in that language.

Also, can you let me know if the .pdf files that you're trying to search are created by scanning the file (ie. is an image of the document)? Searching text within images is currently available on Dropbox Professional and Business plans.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jgp
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne 

Thank you for your answer!

I tried switching dropbox web interface to English but unfortunately it doesn't work neither the web or IOS.

I have even tried to search for any word inside the "Get started with dropbox" PDF with no luck.

My account is linked to a gmail account.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @jgp!

Could you just clarify, are you searching for specific keywords in English or another language? Would you mind sending a screenshot of what you see (or lack of what you see) when searching for a specific word?

Also, out of curiosity, is the "Get started with dropbox" .pdf file in English in your account?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jgp
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi !

I'm searching a specific keywork in english and the PDF file is also in english:

Selection_598.png

For example, If I look for the word "anywhere", no results are found:

Selection_600.png

It looks like I can only search for file names:

Selection_599.png

I'm currently in the Plus trial for IOS:

Selection_601.png

Tried with Firefox and Safari browsers. Same output for the 2.

Thank you!

jgp
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi!

Just tried again few minutes ago and now its working! Maybe you have to wait some days before the "full-text-search" feature is actually activated for a new Plus account?

Anyway, thank you for your support!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for those screenshots @jgp, they're super helpful!

So that we can do some further investigate into this, I've reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile. Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can take it from there if you'd like to.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again @jgp, I didn't see your last post there!

I'm very happy to hear that this is working for you now. :laughing:

If you have any other issues with this or any questions, don't hesitate to give me a nudge back here. I'd be more than happy to help.

I hope you have a great day!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

ricky_nelson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Good Evening,

I am having the same issue.

Setup is in English, I have tried both windows desktop and iOS text search and it is not working.

I registered the account maybe 4-5 days ago and suspected time was maybe needed for settings and documents to load.

I am STILL unable to search text in a .pdf format.

I am a dropbox plus subscriber and so this link sugestes I should be able: 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/sort-preview/search-content

I realise that searchig text within images is available to Dropbox Professional customers, but mine is .pdf and I look to be on the correct plan.

Thanks in advance and stay safe!

jgp
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello there!

Maybe one of your devices where dropbox is installed has another language set diferent from english? In my case, I had to wait 2-3 days. It first worked in the website and after a week in the IOS app.

You can also try to submit a ticket to support.

Stay safe!

Need more support?