cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Support for Linux?

Future Support for Linux?

Chris H.62
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi..

That other thread is getting really, really long, so I thought I'd pose a question here, for someone from Dropbox to answer, rather than the complaints and rants in the other thread. 🙂

Right at this moment I'm considering going through the pain of shifting my DB folder to ext4 despite the security/stability issues of using an old filesystem for one app.  I want to know if I'm just wasting my time and money continuing to be a paid DB customer who uses a cross-platform mix of machines.

So..  Questions for Dropbox to answer here:

- Does dropbox intend to continue supporting Linux? 

- Is there a roadmap or intention to support modern filesystems rather than the nearing legacy ext4?

- How much of a minority are paid Linux accounts?  1%?  Less?

Not really expecting an answer, and if you're not a dropbox rep, please keep your comments in the other thread.. 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris H.62
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Moved on now, disabled the auto-payment in paypal, and shifting to Google Drive + insync.  Sent a newsletter to all of my clients suggesting the same.

I'll drop back to free DB for a couple of club things I have shared into the dropbox account and just use the web UI.

So annoying, but Dropbox have burnt the bridge for me.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Dropbox wont answer I'm afraid.

They never do, sadly.

The only way you MAY get one is via a ticket, but, I can guarantee they wont give you the roadmap info as thats policy.

In terms of paid accounts again they wont release that as 'it is commercially sensitive'. I'd say your 1% guess, however, is good. Thats based upon the IPO they did where only 2% of all users pay: http://observer.com/2018/03/will-dropboxs-post-ipo-growth-cost-its-users/

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chris H.62
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Moved on now, disabled the auto-payment in paypal, and shifting to Google Drive + insync.  Sent a newsletter to all of my clients suggesting the same.

I'll drop back to free DB for a couple of club things I have shared into the dropbox account and just use the web UI.

So annoying, but Dropbox have burnt the bridge for me.

nirwa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I agree--we will be shafted even more than most: our work desktops run linux, (SL7, a version of RHEL7), which according to a friendly email I got last night will no longer be supported after October 15.

I will not have the right version of glibc (may be able to containerise?), and we run home directories on nfs. That is not supported, but works. My employer spends big bucks with dropbox, so we will have to use this, but it will not work for us. How can ou sell yourself as "for business" if you can't support am important part of the community?

Dropbox really doesnot understand that linux is not only for personal usage (Ubuntu/Fedora), but hat there are serious enterprise distributions that do need support.

If it were possible, I would cancel the dropbox subscription I have through my employer!

kserradell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello @nirwa, you confirm Linux + Homes in NFS will not be supported after November?

Thank you,

Pete999
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

HI There - although this has been answered, I thought I'd get my five penneth in.

Since dropbox announced their intention to remove support for my fs (XFS), I've been looking around for a solution.  I initially tried emailing dropbox, but their reply was not satisfactory and they blew me off. I was a paying customer of theirs, but not any more.

I tried google drive and insync, but drive doesn't reliably upload photos at full resolution, and insync is $30.  I now use pCloud and the associated linux app, that is considerably cheaper than dropbox and offers pretty much the same functionality, has support for all my devices, and hasn't suffered data breaches like dropbox has.

Cheerio dropbox - your loss.

yulay2000
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a paid Dropbox account, and I am a Linux user. Installed a new HDD formatted in ext4 to solve the problem temporarily, but I am thinking seriously to remove my professional account and move to a different service/provider.

blackbird1001
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hubic Is also buggy, slow and not at all the world's best service.
But your get 10TB for your 5 - EURO.

And get protectet by the GPPR in europe. 

I only use DB now to syncronice my photos from my phone.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

blackbird1001 New member | Level 2
    yulay2000 Explorer | Level 4
    Pete999 New member | Level 2
    kserradell New member | Level 2
    nirwa Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?