cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GarageBand session (.band) files

GarageBand session (.band) files

djessel
Explorer | Level 3

I exported a .band file (GarageBand project) to Dropbox, then later copied it and tried to open it again on GarageBand. I got an error that GarageBand couldn’t read the file format. When I contacted Apple/GarageBand support they told me that Dropbox doesn’t save these project files on the right format. How can I get this file back up and working on GarageBand?

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @djessel; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about this.

Could you please let me know some additional information so we can have a better look into the matter? 

For starters, are you on a desktop device or a mobile one? Were/are both apps in play up to date, namely on the latest stable versions of the apps?

Also, how exactly did you copy the file after having exported it to Dropbox? Have you tried downloading it and opening it locally on a computer with the appropriate software?

Could you check the file's whole name (or better yet, its complete file-path) to see if the extension is missing somehow?

If you could include screenshots of the particular error you're getting, I'd appreciate a bunch. 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

djessel
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Walter - All of this was done from my iPhone. Basically, in order, 1) I needed to backup a GarageBand Project file ("MTWTLA 6.band") so I shared it / saved to Dropbox. 2) It turns out that I lost my original Project file, so I now I needed the backup file (ONLY exists now on Dropbox). So I exported from Dropbox and it took me to "Copy to GarageBand" 3) Opened Garageband on my iPhone, and the file was there, but now it looked different. 4) Tried to open it and got the error message: "the song you are trying to open is damaged or in a format that GarageBand cannot read" Surely there must be some way to retrieve/convert the file back to its original version so that I will be able to open it in Garageband? Please help... I need to recover this file! Thank you.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to us here @djessel!

When you uploaded the file to Dropbox, it wouldn't have edited or converted the file in anyway.

When you uploaded the file to Dropbox did you perhaps rename the file at all? I'm wondering if perhaps there is a stray space after the extension perhaps.

Otherwise, can you try exporting the file to your device's local storage and then open the file in the GarageBand app from there?

Also, can you let me know which version of the Dropbox app on your iPhone and the device's iOS version?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

djessel
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Daphne, No I did not rename the file when I uploaded it to Dropbox. I already tried exporting the file to my phone's local storage and then opening in GarageBand and it still gave me the same error message. On my iPhone, I am on Dropbox "App Version 202.3.2", and my iPhone 7 Plus is iOS version 13.6.1 Hope that helps. Thank you. Drew

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking on that @djessel, and apologies for the delayed reply here!

Were you editing this file only through your iPhone, or also through the Mac version of the GarageBand app too? 

Can you let me know how much space you have free on your device's storage? 

From some digging, I can also suggest trying out some of the steps outlined here, which was suggested for another person receiving the same error message that you mentioned.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

djessel
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Daphne,
Thank you for getting back to me on this... to answer your questions, I only edited the file through my iPhone, and I have 10 GB of free space left on my phone.
Also, I tried doing what Apple support suggested on the link you gave me, but still the file will not open in GarageBand.
I think I may have mentioned this, but when I presented the issue to Apple support via a phone call with them, they insisted that the problem was with Dropbox and that the file was somehow changed/damaged when I first copied it over to my Dropbox acct.
Best regards,
Drew

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

I see, it would be difficult to know for certain where the issue occurred there @djessel.

It certainly wouldn't be expected that the file becomes corrupted when uploading to Dropbox, but perhaps there was an issue when the file was exported or during upload.

Perhaps one last step I can suggest would be to create a new project and see if you can import the info from this file.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

djessel
Explorer | Level 3
OK - that makes sense... I just did the exact same thing (on my iPhone, as before) with a completely different .band file, and got the exact same error after exporting it from Dropbox back into Garageband. Here is a link to the file on my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnr76dm8bmdqm7l/No%20Regrets%20%28Latest%29.band?dl=0 So I'm convinced that the problem is with Dropbox. I'm surprised you've not come across this before. I also had my daughter try it with some of her Garageband files and the same thing happened. Last question: isn't there a "tech wiz" employed at Dropbox who can examine my original file and fix it for me? Thanks Drew

Walter
Dropbox Staff

It could all be coming down to the file type @djessel, GarageBand files are known to be package files.

Those files appear to be a single file when viewed on an Apple computer or iOS device but they actually contain many other files and are represented as a folder on non-Apple computers and most web browsers.

To ensure compatibility across your devices in the future, you can follow these steps to upload those files.

What were the steps you followed when you first uploaded the mentioned .band file to your account? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    djessel Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?