cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Get back share link after accidentally deleting then restored file

Get back share link after accidentally deleting then restored file

SyberKnight
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

this may be a dumb question & totally not possible, but, i have a pdf i've shared and even created a QR code for the shared link to pass around as needed.

i needed to edit the file and i accidentally deleted it. i quickly went to restore it from dropbox backup, but now the shared link is different. 

is there any way to change the shared link back to the way it was?

i suspect i'm just screwed & have to redo my stuff, but thought i'd ask just in case 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Mmmh... @SyberKnight,

That's application dependent. Some remove any old file before write new, others - no. Try save you new pdf version directly in Dropbox folder (not to move it after). If this don't do the trick read more carefully the documentation of the application in use what else could be done (if possible).

Good luck. :wink:

PS: If you feel comfortable yourself in terminal, can try "dd" command. Type "man dd" in terminal for more info.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SyberKnight - how are you today?

If you restore the file in question, the shared link to it should work normally; are you getting an error when accessing it perhaps? If so, could you forward me a screenshot so I can have a look as well? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @SyberKnight,

I'm afraid you have done something in a different way. If you have followed everything as noted and you didn't explicitly remove the link, such thing wouldn't happens. Link should stay the same. Are you sure the shared link was never removed, from one side, and on other hand:

@SyberKnight wrote:

... i quickly went to restore it from dropbox backup, but now the shared link is different. 

What you mean "dropbox backup"? Is this place "deleted files" where you can restore recently deleted things or something else? If you performed such action from backup outside Dropbox service, that mean recreated file, not restored, and of course corresponding new link. You can check if the old file version is still there ( not the recreated one :wink: ). If so you can restore it together with the original link, otherwise it's impossible.

At least check what you have done actually, so prevented further confusions. :slight_smile:

PS: Full file events information could be found in the file history.

SyberKnight
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

hi Walter, thanks for your reply.

for some reason this forum isn't allowing me to attach a picture (says Access Denied).

so here's a link to it... https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9hazws7rz9cz60/restore%20dropbox%20issue%20screenshot.png?dl=0

SyberKnight
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

hi Ð—дравко, and thank you for your reply as well.

here are the precise steps i did...

1. in the Dropbox folder on my Mac, i deleted the pdf instead of replace it with an edited one (which i've done in the past successfully).
  2. after freaking out, i logged in to Dropbox.com in Safari browser.
  3. i went to the pdf in the "Deleted Files" section & chose to "Restore" it.
  4. after that, i went to it's URL and it is different (see screenshot in previous post).

thanks.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

To be sure what exactly happens take a look in "Version history" (see the picture):изображение.png

Select the ellipsis on right side of file line. :wink:

Hope this gives right direction.

PS: Match the events there to what you have done (time, date, etc.)... and restore the correct version.

SyberKnight
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

BRILLIANT! yeah, so i did the Version History & restored a version before today & the link is back to the way it was. but of course, so is the file (without my new edits).

it seems as tho the latest version of macOS (Catalina) is deleting then replacing instead of swapping the files out like it used to do. argh.

so now, how to i swap the file out with my new edited version & retain the link?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Mmmh... @SyberKnight,

That's application dependent. Some remove any old file before write new, others - no. Try save you new pdf version directly in Dropbox folder (not to move it after). If this don't do the trick read more carefully the documentation of the application in use what else could be done (if possible).

Good luck. :wink:

PS: If you feel comfortable yourself in terminal, can try "dd" command. Type "man dd" in terminal for more info.

SyberKnight
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OMG BRILLIANT AGAIN! @Здравко you are amazing!!!

i just didn't think that could work, but it does!

i opened the dropbox folder in dropbox.com in Safari browser, then i took my edited pdf, whilst using the exact same name, i drag'n'dropped it into the dropbox safari window, and it totally replaced it & kept the same URL!!!!!!! YAY!

you saved me a huge headache!!! THANK YOU!!!

Need more support?