cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error 404 when clicking link to a shared folder

Getting error 404 when clicking link to a shared folder

tjleyland
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Two of seven people i am trying to share a folder on dropbox with can't access it. They get the dreaded 404 erro message. 

I see no easy solution on your forum. 

Possible solutions make sure you are clicking on the whole link.

Other = don’t move the files after you’ve added them to dropbox and then sent someone a link.

Neither seem satisfactory as I am sure they are clicking on the whole link and I am not moving the files once they are in dropbox.  Any other suggestion before I shift to Google Drive......?

=========================

Problem April

A Drop Box invitation has been sent several times but each time I can't open it and I get this error message - Error (404) How do I resolve this issue? 

Solution April

The link you are using is incorrect. 

If its coming via email make sure you are using the whole link and not just part of it - especially if it crosses lines. 

Note, however, that as you now have an account the invitation wont work (i.e. it wont give you or them bonus space).

Problem 2

I am completely done with Dropbox over this. I am a student and I need access to academic files provided by the teacher. Every time I try to access them through a link sent to all the students I get a 404 "This file cannot be found" message. Some of my fellow classmates are able to access the documents through the same link, and some cannot. This tells me that the files can be found and no changes have been made to make them inaccessible because people CAN access them. Nothing on the forum can answer as to why this happens, and I understand that the community may not be able to answer this question but I can find nothing on the FAQ relating to this exactly.

Does anyone know what I can do? I have contacted my teacher but if I cannot do anything does anyone know what the owner of the files could do to fix this problem, or does he just have to send out new links?

Solution 2

Sorry that you are having this issue.  The 404 error means it has been removed and its missing.    Are you 100% sure that the teacher hasn't done anything to the file?   Perhaps send a Support email listed here: https://www.dropbox.com/support

Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2018 11:37 AM
To: Tim 
Subject: Re: Tim shared "WET Board" with you

HI Tim, no still can't get in- I get this:

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, when you’re sharing a folder with users, they need to use a Dropbox account to access it and edit/view files.

Do these users already have a Dropbox account, or do they need to create one?

If you’ve invited their email, and they already have an account under that email, they’ll be able to instantly access it by logging into the Dropbox site and clicking on the notification bell at the top, or the sharing tab to add it to their account (assuming they have the quota for it)

As Rich said, they need to click the link, though when sending a shared folder invite, it appears as a blue button in the email (when sent from Dropbox). Is that what they’re seeing?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tjleyland wrote:

... I am sure they are clicking on the whole link ...

Have them copy and paste the full URL, instead of clicking. If the link is wrapping to a second line, their mail client may only be registering the click on the first line of the link.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, when you’re sharing a folder with users, they need to use a Dropbox account to access it and edit/view files.

Do these users already have a Dropbox account, or do they need to create one?

If you’ve invited their email, and they already have an account under that email, they’ll be able to instantly access it by logging into the Dropbox site and clicking on the notification bell at the top, or the sharing tab to add it to their account (assuming they have the quota for it)

As Rich said, they need to click the link, though when sending a shared folder invite, it appears as a blue button in the email (when sent from Dropbox). Is that what they’re seeing?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?