cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting very old files deleted files back

Getting very old files deleted files back

jnd0
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Community

hope everyone is doing well

I created my dropbox account in 2011, during this time till 2013 I've added loads of personal files (mostly uploads from my phone's camera) to the dropbox account. I had about 20gb worth of data saved on the account because I had a promotion from HTC that gave me free 23gb of space in the platform. 

This promo ended up in 2014 and I received an email then saying it. In the email also said that I was over my capacity so that I can't upload nothing new but that all my files would be safe. 

I've never deleted my account. Ive been very inactive with the platform but I've always signed in to keep my account open. 

To my surprise today I've signed in to the platform but nothing is left in my account. I can't see anything that I was looking for, nothing on the "deleted files" section/all files or logs. 

I wanted to write a formal email to the support team to see if they can help but it brought me here. 

Can someone please help with this? where are my files and folders? and is there a way to get my files back?

Many thanks

8 Replies 8

Re: Getting very old files deleted files back

Rich
Super User II

@jnd0 wrote:

Ive been very inactive with the platform but I've always signed in to keep my account open. ... Can someone please help with this? where are my files and folders? and is there a way to get my files back?

When was the last time you signed in to your account? If it's been more than a year it was likely deleted due to inactivity and you've now signed in to a new, empty account.

jnd0
Explorer | Level 3

I don't think so,

if I look at the email history I can see that I got reminders about closing my account but every time I received those I logged in to avoid it. Plus there's also some folders I created a while ago that are still there but not everything. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @jnd0, since you see some of your content online, could it be that the files and folders you're missing were shared with you? 

Could you also look at your events page in case there's any recent record?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jnd0
Explorer | Level 3

Some of them yes were shared with me but not all the folders in my dropbox were shared with me. 

Thanks

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @jnd0, do you see any of the missing folders in the events page, as per my colleague's previous suggestion?

Can you find any shared folders on this page to try to add them back to your account?

As you're not seeing the missing files on the deleted files page, then there's a few possibilities as to where the files might be:

• The files are on another Dropbox account
  • They were on a shared folder you don't have access to any more.
  • The files were deleted outside of the 30 day period.
  • The files were permanently deleted.

Keep me updated with any details.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jnd0
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I can confirm, nothing on the evens page. 

Also unfortunately my folders were not shared to me. 

I think it should this option: 

• The files were permanently deleted 

But my question is why? Is there anything else I can do to try to recover my files?

Mark
Super User II

@jnd0 unfortunately if files were permanently deleted they are unrecoverable now. 

Sorry

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jay
Dropboxer
@Mark would be correct, if the files were permanently deleted, then it wouldn't be possible to recover the files. Even our support team wouldn't be able to restore those files from our system, unfortunately.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
    jnd0 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?