cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Granting Edit Access

Granting Edit Access

kurtisbrown
Explorer | Level 3

I added users to our company's dropbox folder for editing purposes but for one specific user it will not allow me to change his status to "can edit." Dropbox is only allowing "can view" access. Why is this the case? not having this issue with any other users, no reason to believe his email/ status is any different.

3 Replies 3

Re: Granting Edit Access

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @kurtisbrown, thanks for posting on the Community!

Do you know if this user is a member of a Dropbox Business team?

Generally, admins on Business teams can prevent their members from editing external shared folders, for security purposes.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kurtisbrown
Explorer | Level 3

Jay - thanks for the response. This user works at a business where every other user I have added has "edit" access and they all have the same emails. Doesn't make sense why this person is just "view only." Does the admin of this folder have the ability to grant edit access? Dropbox isn't even giving me the opportunity to grant edit access. Please see the attached screenshot that shows the issue. 

It won't allow me to give  "Chris" edit access but Debbie, Kirk and Sean have no issue. They all have the same email signature, all work at the same company. Please let me know what I need to do ASAP.

DB Issue.PNG

Daphne
Dropboxer
Is it possible that Chris may be part of different Dropbox account than the others, @kurtisbrown? You might need to reach out to them and see if this is the case.

Most likely, the people you can add with Can Edit access are either using personal Dropbox accounts, or are on a different Business team.

It could even be that Chris is trying a free Business trial on their account and mistakenly enabled the setting to restrict access of folders outside of their own team.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?