cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey X problem with my file

Grey X problem with my file

SORN
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone i have problem with files after i install dropbox i dont know why i can't open some of my files they show me with grey X (  u can see in the picture=)

Hope anyone help me to solve this i feel a little angry with this because this grey X hide some importance of my files that i work with everyday i hope dropbox community find me solution 

Thank u guy in advanced.

Capture2.JPGCapture1.JPG

7 Replies 7

Re: Grey X problem with my file

Mark
Super User II

I dont think thats from Dropbox - that isnt a Dropbox icon.

Does the file open if you move it outside of the Dropbox folder?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SORN
New member | Level 2

Hi no, i did'nt move anything outside dropbox when i intalled dropbox maybeduring install there are some problem that i dont know because this is my first time i installed dropbox i dont know what happen before i installed dropbox i don't have greyX like that with my files.

SORN
New member | Level 2

Hope anyone help me find solution with this i mean i have importance files that i can't open and i work with everyday.

Mark
Super User II

You havent done what I've asked - we can only help if you do what we ask you to try and do. 

As I said I'm sure this is NOT a Dropbox issue - that icon does not belong to Dropbox. 

But, try moving a file outside of the Dropbox folder and then open it. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SORN
New member | Level 2

u asked me but honnestly wtih u i really don't know what happen like i said this my first time i install dropbox and before i never had that issue so i dont know what happen or click something wrong that make my file with grey X but i sitll dont know.

Can u show how to move file out side dropbox i am not sure what u mean ?

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like every single other one. You just treat it exactly as that - what you put in that folder does not change in anyway, it just syncs to the cloud.

So to test whats happening try and open a file with an X over it both in that Dropbox folder and then say drag and drop it to the desktop and try there. 

kurt2000
New member | Level 2

just rar files and unrar then 🙂 thats it

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kurt2000 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    SORN New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?