cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! Folders were completely removed from my Hard drive how to restore?

HELP!!! Folders were completely removed from my Hard drive how to restore?

Deex2
Explorer | Level 3

I was trying to back up some of my personal folders/files, again just trying to back them up and it would appears that all but 4 of my folders on my C: drive have moved to Dropbox.  How can I get all of my folders restored to my Documents Folder on C;??????

6 Replies 6

Re: HELP!!! Folders were completely removed from my Hard drive how to restore?

Rich
Super User II

@Deex2 wrote:

I was trying to back up some of my personal folders/files, again just trying to back them up and it would appears that all but 4 of my folders on my C: drive have moved to Dropbox.  How can I get all of my folders restored to my Documents Folder on C;??????

This is the problem with the "backup" feature in Dropbox. It MOVES the original folders into the Dropbox folder, which then allows them to sync. It's not a true backup.

Disable the computer backup feature and you should be able to specify that the folders are placed back where they were.

How to undo Dropbox changes and restore my computer HDD

Deex2
Explorer | Level 3

I tried using this product on my personal computer and it just made an absolute mess of all of my files/folders. I'm missing folders and information, noting is in the deleted/trash folders and now i have a duplicate (new) file folder for every original folder on my PC.

Is there anyway to completely undo the file/folder back up done by Dropbox sync and restore my computer C: drive back to its original state?

HELP

Deex2
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for responding.

I know just want to completely undo all and anything that Dropbox did to my files/folders/computer.  It created duplicate NEW file folders for everyone of my file folders....Do you know if there is a way to revert back to before I used Dropbox.  This program is a nightmare I wish i had never used it..

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @Deex2, welcome to our Community! 

Have you turned off backups, with the steps shown in the Help Center article @Rich provided? You should be able to move content back to their original paths, after disabling the Computer Backup feature. 

You can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder back to their original paths, at any time.

Thanks. 

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Deex2
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

It would appear I did what Rich suggested and unchecked the folders HOWEVER I guess I did "Selective Sync" also😕, now what????

What can I do?

I want my files/folders back as they were on my PC without deleting any of them.  I want to erase, as much as possible, that i ever even used Drop Box, Is it possible???

****Also, my online Dropbox file is full and not all of my files/folders have sycned, so what happens to those if and when I turn off and or uninstall drop box?

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @Deex2, wishing you a great Tuesday! 

You would need to follow the selective sync steps, in order to sync the removed content back to the device.

Keep in mind that for this to happen, you would need to have available space on both your account and device. 

If your quota is full, I suggest you download the content manually from the website, since it wouldn't be possible to be synced.

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Deex2 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?