cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! My files are gone!

Highlighted

HELP!! My files are gone!

Explorer | Level 3

I keep my document files up to date every day. And today I uploaded everything on my computer (apps, everything) into Dropbox because I was doing a Mac OS system update and needed something for a back up. I also thought I could continue my work on a second desktop computer I have not used for a year. Both my desktop and laptop used to be synched. But today all I can access in Dropbox on my desktop computer are files from a year ago! And the Mac Catalina update is hung up and I can't seem to access anything on the laptop at all. Where did my files go and why can't I access them? I thought my computer was supposed to synch up with Dropbox even after not using it for awhile. Am I screwed?

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: HELP!! My files are gone!

Explorer | Level 3

I want to add additional information. The Dropbox app on my second computer has a green checkbox saying it is up to date. I have tried quitting the app and signing back in. I have tried signing in from my Google account. Neither worked. The Document folder I am trying to access shows up with the same name I've always use ("DOCUMENT FOLDER"). But nothing newer than the last time I used this desktop machine shows up there. All files from Aug 2019 to now are gone.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
If you logon to dropbox on the web can you see the files there?

If not Maybe the files didn't finish uploading.

Make sure you login to dropbox webpage as the same user that originally uploaded the files.

Look in the trash on the dropbox web also incase they were inadvertently deleted. You can recover them in this case.
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Stuart, Thanks for joining in. The answer is no. But here's new information. I got the Catalina download to work on the other computer--everything is fine there. When I check my Dropbox folder I see everything I uploaded today. But then I noticed that my Dropbox app need an update. So I did that. And then I went to the web and none of the files I uploaded today were there. But they still show up in my Dropbox folder on my desktop. Many hours have gone by since this all began this morning so I would think the files would have uploaded by now.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

AND all the files I added over this whole year are gone. They are in the Dropbox folder on my desktop but were never loaded to the web!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @skaras!

On your desktop computer where you see these files, do you have the Dropbox app installed? If the app is running, what does the sync status show?

Otherwise, if the app isn't currently running on that computer, please don't relink Dropbox to that folder (by launching or reinstalling the app) for the moment as it may now see the "older" version from your laptop as the most recent version and sync this down to the desktop's Dropbox folder.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, It says it is up to date. I checked the sync preferences and they are set up correctly in terms of what folders to link up. But nothing from the entire last year has been uploaded. I wish I my account had not automatically renewed a month ago or I'd be cancelling it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne, I now I have checked both computers. They both say everything is up to date. And it isn't true.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Are you sure you are using the same dropbox account as previously used? Please login to the web and check trash, maybe you deleted them after thinking they were backed up.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @skaras, could you check that both computers are connected to the same Dropbox account. Are the files visible on the Dropbox site as well?

do you see any recent events showing deletions or additions recently?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?