cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

I am really freaking out right now...

I'm fairly new to dropbox and am trying to upload some files. I see some options to Sync (I think the particular files) and it starts syncing my computer (desktop, downloads, documents).  Now this is NOT what I want to happen and there is no button to cancel so in a bit of a panic I quit the app.  When I restart the app there's all this stuff copied to dropbox that I don't want there so I delete it (from dropbox).  Now all these files are GONE from my computer! My desktop is empty but I found some file called "Desktop" and all those files are there. Whew!  Looking for "Downloads"... None. Folder is empty! Okay, well I can live without those files.  Looking for "Documents"... there's a folder called Documents but it's full of unreadable and unopenable files. These files are my life's work on this computer. Crucial.

There's still a folder on the Dropdox app or online called "My Mac" but it's empty. 

I've checked in the Deleted files and there's nothing there either...

I don't know what to do!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HELP!

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Chris that's helpful to see!

Stumbling around my computer searching for my lost files just now, I found them in the Trash, but only when viewed through the Finder window and they are Greyed out like you asked about before!  What does being greyed out mean?  All the missing files seem to be there...

Although I still can't open them as they're in the trash, I've dragged the files back to thier proper system folders and they all seem to be restored and functioning!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Chris_J
Super User

Hello Tiedye

Thanks for reaching out.  First, start breathing, there's solutions everywhere.  It seems that you allowed Dropbox Client to backup your Desktop and Document folders and thus why things are disappearing.  

Look at https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete 

you may have to have Dropbox Support restore your Dropbox folder to an earlier time frame.  Which sounds like the easiest way.

https://www.dropbox.com/support 

you might look at https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/missing-reappearing-corrupted-files 

Hopes this helps

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Chris_J, 

I'm really trying to breath but it's not going great trying to recover this stuff...

I've looked at the restore-delete stuff and it doesn't show that I've deleted anything.  The "MyMac" folder created in dropbox is simply empty.

I would love to have dropbox support restore something, but for the life of me I can't find any support from dropbox other than some useless bot chat thing. Aweful.  It may be because I only have a basic package at this point, but I've gotta say that not having any support when things go wrong is not a great selling feature for thier paid packages.

If you're right about solutions then I'm sure my files have to be somewhere! Are they hiding on my computer someplace?  Why would they be removed from my computer even if I did actually want to copy everything into dropbox???  It would be amazing if I could simply speak to a support person who would tel me where my files have gone and maybe even how to put them back!

Chris_J
Super User

I understand completely.  As for the Support, it's not the greatest out there but it works when we give it a try.  Mostly, you. must remember that they insist that one go thru questions and help center article before getting us to a point to fill out a ticket.  So you must plow thru. then follow the prompts if all else fails, it will let you fill out a Support Ticket.

I am actually at work and just taking a break to help you out so I can't stay longer.  I will check back here when I get a chance.  For the past 15 years and plus years, I have never heard of Dropbox deleting files without cause, something or someone either moved, renamed or deleted the files.  But we can recover them, we just have to find the best way to do that.  

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks again @Chris_J, I sure appreciate you trying to help, especially whle at work!  

I will try to be patient and seek a solution.  I have been looking throughout the community forums as it seems to want me to do as well as google searching.  Most of the suggestions I find surround restoring deleted files, but none of the computer files that started to copy to dropbox were in that list.

Essentially, my "Documents" folder and "Downloads" folder are empty both on my computer and in dropbox.  I've managed to locate all the files that were on my desktop in a second folder called "Desktop" that showed up, so that's great.  I am hoping that all the files from the two empty folders are hiding somewhere on my computer.  They don't seem to be in dropbox, deleted or otherwise, at least anywhere I see.

I'll keep searching for something else.  When you say, "remember that they insist that one go thru questions and help center article before getting us to a point to fill out a ticket.",  do you mean I need to keep posting questions on this forum too? I'll do whatever I need to do!

Chris_J
Super User

It appears that you have Dropbox to backup your Downloads, Desktop, and Document folders.  So when the Client started to do whats its been tagged, you may have panicked and started deleting the files, thus the reason you don't see any files.  Have you checked the website interface?  Click on your icon in your system tray and click the world icon and that will bring up your Dropbox web interface.  Click on all files on the left-hand side.

If any files designated as backup files will have the OS Icon on them.  For example see my screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3aile2cy9ir1i7/Screen%20Shot%202021-01-19%20at%208.52.02%20PM.png?dl=0 

You see about 4 back-ups showing both Mac and PC>. these are the files that you panicked about, correct? go to your folder and do a search on the right-hand side.  Do you see any greyed out folders?

Chris_J
Super User

@Tiedye wrote:

I'll keep searching for something else.  When you say, "remember that they insist that one go thru questions and help center article before getting us to a point to fill out a ticket.",  do you mean I need to keep posting questions on this forum too? I'll do whatever I need to do!

no, just go to the next step.  click on next or find a wording that says, I've done everything.  Its been years since I've filled out a ticket so pardon me for not knowing exactly

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

When checking website interface via the App or online I can see the Folder (My Mac) that was created in dropbox.  Within that folder are the three folders that it started copying ("Desktop", "Documents", and "Downloads").  All three of them are empty within dropbox.

None of these folders have an OS icon like yours do, just a blue folder icon.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about searching, do you mean within dropbox or finder?  I've tried varieties of both and don't see any greyed out folders.  Should I be searching for something specific?  In a Finder window I've tried searching for missing documents but they don't come up...

Thus far:

1. I found the files that were on my desktop and put them back.  They work! 
  2. After restarting my computer a bunch of missing document files and folders reappeared in a shortcut folder I call "The Bookcase" but when I try to open any of them it tells me that they can't be opened because they are in the Trash.  I can't see them in the Trash. This is the most serious loss of files I'm facing here.
  3. "Documents" folder and "Downloads" folders are empty.

Tiedye
Helpful | Level 5

... The only options I can see from here are "Like" or "Accept As Solution"

I've been scouring the site for further help but I can't see where I can take it to the next point or anything about a ticket.  Has it got something to do with the Bot "Help"?

Thanks again!

Chris_J
Super User

Hello

Go to https://www.dropbox.com/support/email 

do you see the support ticket there?

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?