cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard drive clone and will be using both drives on separate computers: which will be recognized?

Hard drive clone and will be using both drives on separate computers: which will be recognized?

TammyJo
New member | Level 2

Hello and thanks for you time,

I've cloned the hard drive from my computer onto a new SSD drive that will be put in another computer. I've continued using the old drive and syncing to dropbox which included deleting quite a few old files, adding quite a few new files, and substantial folder creation/deletion/reorganization. My question is when I start using the new computer with cloned drive, will it sync to dropbox and undo all of my syncs that happened after I cloned and before I started to use the new computer/drive? Will the cloned drive immediately start syncing with dropbox? If the cloned drive does not automatically sync with dropbox, should I delete the DB folder and download/sync from DB to a new folder on the cloned drive? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hard drive clone and will be using both drives on separate computers: which will be recognized?

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey there, @TammyJo, welcome to our community! 

Well, I’m not sure about this one. From what I understand, your old computer, and your account online, are fully updated with the latest file modifications.

Now, if you cloned your old hard drive over to the new SSD, I would think that the “date modified” timestamps on your files will remain the same, that is they will be “older” than the files currently in your account. If this holds, then the state of your online files should sync down to the new computer to update it with the latest changes. 

Again, I’m not completely sure about this. Of course, the safest thing would be to sign the new device out of Dropbox remotely, then turn on the new machine (or prevent it from going online when you turn it on, and unlink it from our app’s preferences), and delete the Dropbox folder. When you sign in again, our app will create a new Dropbox folder on your new computer, and sync with your account. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Hard drive clone and will be using both drives on separate computers: which will be recognized?

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey there, @TammyJo, welcome to our community! 

Well, I’m not sure about this one. From what I understand, your old computer, and your account online, are fully updated with the latest file modifications.

Now, if you cloned your old hard drive over to the new SSD, I would think that the “date modified” timestamps on your files will remain the same, that is they will be “older” than the files currently in your account. If this holds, then the state of your online files should sync down to the new computer to update it with the latest changes. 

Again, I’m not completely sure about this. Of course, the safest thing would be to sign the new device out of Dropbox remotely, then turn on the new machine (or prevent it from going online when you turn it on, and unlink it from our app’s preferences), and delete the Dropbox folder. When you sign in again, our app will create a new Dropbox folder on your new computer, and sync with your account. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Cheers!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

TammyJo
New member | Level 2

Dropboxer

Thank you for the help! I backed up my old computer drive before doing anything. That allowed me to safely test what would happen if I turned on the new computer and let Dropbox start to sync. As you thought, the new computer's Dropbox folder was updated to reflect what is on the old computer and the Dropbox website. I think you are probably correct about the 'date modified' timestamps. Again, thank you and I hope this helps someone else in understanding what to expect if they are in a similar situation. 

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey, @TammyJo, I'm glad to hear that this worked out for you! 

I think the key was the fact that you cloned the drive, instead of having moved/copied stuff over (as that would have changed the dates on the files). Good thinking on having a backup too 😉 

Thanks for getting back to me with the update. I think others will find this useful, indeed! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?