cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardlinks in dropbox folder

Hardlinks in dropbox folder

mtozsu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Now that Dropbox has stopped supporting symlinks within Dropbox folder (to folders outside Dropbox), my setup no longer works. I wonder if hard links from within Dropbox to folders outside Dropbox would work, meaning that they would sync. Or would Dropbox ignore the external folder?

10 Replies 10

-Rob-
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can just for files by going to "terminal".

then enter on the command line:

ln <existing file> <link to be created>.

This wil create a hard link between the 2 entries.

You can see this by executing:

ls -l <existing file> <link to be created>

You'll see that the number of link (the first number) > 1, and the inode number is the same.

It is in MacOS not possible to create a hard link on directories (as far as I know).

And, how Dropbox handles the hard linked files I don't know. I would expect is doen not recognise the inode number and/or the number of links be the same, so it would create 2 different files, with exactly the same creation/change dates (as these are in the inode admin)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

-Rob- New member | Level 2
    auspugs Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?