cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having issues with initials showing up when adding members to a shared folder

Having issues with initials showing up when adding members to a shared folder

stwtorpedo
New member | Level 2

In past years I have added members to be able to view and edit files in a shared folder simply by clicking SHARE and supplying their email addresses and their names.  Past members created were listed with their initials in a colored circle along with their name.  Now I seem not to be asked to enter the new member's name and/or initials.  I may have forgotten how to accomplish this or possibly something has changed in the Dropbox software.  Thus, the added member's "initials" shows up as the first character of his or her email address.  There is no name listed either, just the email address.  I assume that the system determines the initials by the first letter of the new member's first and last names.  Thanks for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Adding a new member to share a folder

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @stwtorpedo, let's have a look into this together. 

If you're following these steps to sharing a folder with others, is it possible that the users you're not seeing a name or initials for don't have an account? 

Also, are you by any chance sharing through the web, the desktop app, or the mobile app? 

If you could send us a screenshot of this (without any personal info included) that would be super helpful. 

Give me a shout whenever you have the chance to check this out. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @stwtorpedo, let's have a look into this together. 

If you're following these steps to sharing a folder with others, is it possible that the users you're not seeing a name or initials for don't have an account? 

Also, are you by any chance sharing through the web, the desktop app, or the mobile app? 

If you could send us a screenshot of this (without any personal info included) that would be super helpful. 

Give me a shout whenever you have the chance to check this out. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

stwtorpedo
New member | Level 2

I spoke today with the new member I was trying to add last night.  He indicated that everything looked fine to him.  I checked his listing among the other members and, sure enough, his first and last names, initials and email address were all correct.  I suppose it takes the system some amount of time to settle all the new member information and display it properly.  Thanks for your willingness to help.  Looks like all is OK.  Best regards!

Lusil
Dropboxer
That's what we're here for after all, @stwtorpedo!

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?