cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, can't change files to online-only, filled up disc!

Help, can't change files to online-only, filled up disc!

Elasky
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

After upgrading to Dropbox Plus, with 2TB of space, I just transferred a lot of files and folders into my Dropbox.

I thought they would automatically be online-only, but when they started to sync they have almost totally filled my hard drive. I cannot change anything to "online-only." That option is not available to me. I have tried it after Pausing Sync and that did not change anything.

I also think my Dropbox desktop app has not upgraded to my Plus account, because I only have "selective sync" available under preferences. it does not show any smart sync options.

I'm afraid to try and re-download the desktop app with so little disk space, but I'm going to try. I am sending out this plea for help before I try it!

thank you for any advice!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elasky
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am not entirely sure what did the trick, but it had something to do with:

1. I had to turn on smart sync, available with Dropbox plus.

2. I had upgraded just an hour before, but my desktop app had not upgraided for Dropbox plus so It was not giving me option to turn on smart sync.

3. I re-downloaded the updated Dropbox desktop app, which then allowed me to switch on smart sync, and then I could select online-only.

4. It took a while for all my files to make the transition--maybe 45 min's or so.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Elasky
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I solved it, yay!! Not sure what I did, but part of it was patience 🙂

MMorantez
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How did you get this to work? I am having the same issue. I did not realize that my videos were being saved on my hard drive. I want to change all of them to online only. I can't figure out how to do this.

Elasky
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am not entirely sure what did the trick, but it had something to do with:

1. I had to turn on smart sync, available with Dropbox plus.

2. I had upgraded just an hour before, but my desktop app had not upgraided for Dropbox plus so It was not giving me option to turn on smart sync.

3. I re-downloaded the updated Dropbox desktop app, which then allowed me to switch on smart sync, and then I could select online-only.

4. It took a while for all my files to make the transition--maybe 45 min's or so.

Hope this helps!

elliotabrams
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For the moment you cannot fix this because the company provides poor support. I  have had the same problem for 2 months and have been shown nothing that works, Assuming I can retrieve my files, I am going to a vendor that cares.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

elliotabrams New member | Level 2
    Elasky Helpful | Level 5
    MMorantez New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?