cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help removing files on desktop

Highlighted

Help removing files on desktop

New member | Level 2

Hi, I am completely confused about my Dropbox files and folder. For some reason the files live on my desktop drive vs in the dropbox "cloud". Thought I synced the files just to the dropbox, but I did a test and deleted one of the files on my desktop folder and it deleted from the dropbox. Anyway I am completely confused and would like the folder to only live in a cloud not on my desktop- help! Thanks

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Help removing files on desktop

Dropboxer

Hi @jenjay, thanks for posting on the Community!

As you've discovered, the Dropbox desktop application syncs to the Dropbox folder on your computer. When you delete, add, or edit a file or folder in either location, the changes will sync to the other. 

If you're on a paid plan, you could enable Smart Sync to have placeholder files sync, which take up no space, on your machine. If you don't want entire folders to appear on your machine, selective sync can be used instead.

Let me know if this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?