cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with permanently deleting files accidentally uploaded to a shared folder

Highlighted

Help with permanently deleting files accidentally uploaded to a shared folder

Explorer | Level 3

I accidentally uploaded a folder containing personal information to a shared folder. I've deleted the folder, however, it looks like other members of the shared folder still have the option to restore it. I tried to permanently delete the folder but I am getting a message that says "ask the owner to help permanently delete this folder." I've also tried permenantly deleting the folder on my deleted files page but it's not giving me the option. Is there anything I can do to prevent people from restoring the folder and getting access to my personal information? 

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Help with permanently deleting files accidentally uploaded to a shared folder

Super User II

The folder owner needs to do it.

You may need to be able to do it for you on specific files.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Re: Help with permanently deleting files accidentally uploaded to a shared folder

Explorer | Level 3

The shared folder doesnt specify who the owner is. Since I uploaded the files/folder, shouldn't I be considered the owner? It looks like it will be permanently deleted from my deleted files in 30 days, once that happens, will other members of the shared folder be able to restore the files?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @sl54, thanks for reaching out to us. 

You can find the owner of a shared folder by following these steps

You can also find out more information on what happens when you delete a file from a shared folder in this article

I hope these help, but let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?