cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide sensitive files

Hide sensitive files

Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I will soon be sending my laptop in for repairs. I have sensitive files on my Dropbox that I don't want anyone to be able to access. There are many files - all my tax info for quite a few years. What's the best way to remove or hide those files, preferably while still keeping them on Dropbox in the cloud? I want to make the surest and easiest choice.

1. No matter how I do it, I will save those files on an external hard drive, just in case.

2. If I sign out of Dropbox on my laptop, will the files still be on my laptop? Does signing out merely turn off syncing?

3. Is it possible, via Dropbox.com or other means, to turn off syncing for just a single folder, keeping the folder in the cloud while deleting the folder on my laptop?

4. Is it easiest to simply copy them to the external drive, then delete them, putting them back in later?

Thanks for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hide sensitive files

Dropboxer

That's a clever way of hiding it. Yes, hiding the folder via selective sync, and then signing out of your Dropbox account completely would prevent them from accessing the folder via the app. To be more secure, make sure to sign out of the Dropbox site as well and that the browser hasn't saved your password to login there.

Bear in mind that there is a device limit on Dropbox, so signing out of the desktop app could result in you not signing in again. If you're on a Basic plan and have more than 3 devices connected, then removing a device means you can't sign in again with it.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer

Hi @Vronni, thanks for joining the Community!

The easiest option is to use selective sync, which is essentially your third option.

It deletes the local folder from your machine, but keeps it on the Dropbox site. This can be disabled via the app, just so you're aware, in case the repair shop decides to re-enable that folder.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, Jay.

If I use selective sync to hide those folders, and then sign out of dropbox, no one can change those settings, right?  Because they'd have to sign back in first, and they won't be able to. Yes?

Signing out won't lose any of my files, right?

Dropboxer

That's a clever way of hiding it. Yes, hiding the folder via selective sync, and then signing out of your Dropbox account completely would prevent them from accessing the folder via the app. To be more secure, make sure to sign out of the Dropbox site as well and that the browser hasn't saved your password to login there.

Bear in mind that there is a device limit on Dropbox, so signing out of the desktop app could result in you not signing in again. If you're on a Basic plan and have more than 3 devices connected, then removing a device means you can't sign in again with it.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?