Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU Usage on Mac Mojave nothing to sync

rickomurphy New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I know this is an old chestnut, but I've looked through the troubleshooting guide for this and I definitely do not have any symlinks in my Dropbox folder. I have only 40GB of files in my Dropbox folder, very few change, and everything has been ticking along nicely for years. But recently I noticed my Mac (mini) was quite slow and I see Dropbox using anything from 100%-130% CPU all the time. There are no files to sync.

But I do have other sync and cloud backup running. As well as a Dropbox folder I also have a Google Drive folder.  Periodically, the GoodSync synchronization software synchronizes a folder I named Dropbox.copy in Google Drive from my Dropbox folder.

I also run BackBlaze that backs up everything to cloud. Then there's Apple's iCloud although that does not go near the Dropbox or Google Drive folders, I'm not consciously using it. And of course Apple's Time Machine backup which does it's thing periodically.

If anything was going to "confuse" Dropbox my guess would be the GoodSync software, which was set up to read Dropbox and duplicate it in Google Drive. I have now disabled GoodSync to see if Dropbox CPU usage goes down: it does not.

At this stage I'm out of ideas I've been using Dropbox for many years, but it's untenable to keep using it while it consumes so much CPU resource to the detriment of everything else. Any help or ideas very welcome.

3 Replies 3

Re: High CPU Usage on Mac Mojave nothing to sync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @rickomurphy, as you’ve already covered the basics on your end, let me have a closer look on this matter through our Official Support channel. I’ve now sent you a brief message & once you reply back to me there, I’ll review your account specifics & we can discuss your options together. Please have a look at your inbox whenever you have a bit of spare time & I’ll check back with you asap. Thanks again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

rickomurphy New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi @Jane I replied to your email.... but nothing since then :-(

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the nudge @rickomurphy; I’ve just sent you a brief message back asking you a few questions, so as to determine the best next steps to help tackle this discrepancy. Please have a look at your inbox & we'll take it from there! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?