cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High I/O and CPU on Linux when writing to ignored files

High I/O and CPU on Linux when writing to ignored files

New member | Level 2

I am using Dropbox to store my media library, which includes large videos (300MB - 12GB). During the process of recording / transcoding I am writing to an ignored file pattern starting with ".~", so something like ".~The Croods.mkv". When complete I rename to the real filename, such as "The Croods.mkv". The intent is to 1) not store an incomplete file if the process dies and 2) prevent Dropbox from processing the file while it's being written. Although Dropbox isn't syncing the ".~" file, there is high I/O and CPU usage related to these files. I'm using the 'top' command and can see the i/o wait is between 40-50 % and CPU 20-40 %.

I thought Dropbox would ignore ".~" files completely. This is causing issues with my DVR software because the i/o wait is increasing the load and sometimes the DVR process can't start recording soon enough.

I've considered creating the file outside of the Dropbox folder but the Dropbox folder has it's own filesystem, so 'renaming' the file is actually a copy and delete. Dropbox has high i/o usage while copying a large file too, so not really a better solution.

Any solutions? This seems like a bug because Dropbox doesn't sync '.~' files, why would it do processing on them? I can't imagine the inode notification handling would need to use that much i/o.

9 Replies 9

Re: High I/O and CPU on Linux when writing to ignored files

Dropboxer

Hi there @double16, let's see what we can do on this. 

Since the desktop app is constantly trying to make sure that you have the latest versions of your files available, the increased activity on your computer may be due to all the processes it's trying to run. 

What you can do is pause the desktop app from syncing, make all the relevant changes to the files and, once you're done, resume syncing again. 

Could you try that out and let me know if it does the trick for you?

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

That's not easily done. My DVR software is automated so I would need to somehow extend it to call the Dropbox CLI. I've watched the CLI status and it's reporting only the '.~' file being written.

Dropboxer

Hmm, would ignoring these files from syncing be a viable option in this case?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

They are already ignored. According to the Dropbox docs, any file beginning with ".~" is ignored.

Dropboxer

I see, since you've tried some extensive troubleshooting on this, could you check this page to see your options for contacting our team?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Thanks for your time in trying to resolve here. I have a ticket open.

Dropboxer

No worries, @double16!

You could let me know its ID (eg. #1234567) to pass your comments from here along, if you'd like.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

Ticket #11646157

Dropboxer

I found it and have forwarded this discussion along to the member of the team who will be reviewing this for you. 

As soon as they have more info, they will get back to you via email. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?