cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting Dropbox on an External Hard Drive

Hosting Dropbox on an External Hard Drive

Mtang78
Explorer | Level 3

I "moved" my Dropbox files and folders to an external hard drive and then found out that the web version could no longer find my files and folders. Sent me into a major panic and meltdown. Got the files back, but of course, they are now back on the internal hard drive AND the external hard drive. I want to use the external hard drive and the cloud. The PC that the files and folders were on is going to be wiped, upgraded rebuilt. So my questions are as follows:

1) How do I change the cloud to search for the external hard drive?

2) Will Dropbox recognize that external hard drive no matter what PC it is connected to?

2 Replies 2

Re: Hosting Dropbox on an External Hard Drive

Mark
Super User II

1) You need to think very carefully about using external drives on Dropbox. There is a HUGE chance of data loss, especially, if you want to disconnect it (as per 2). If Dropbox is running but it cannot find the Dropbox folder as the drive is either disconnected or is too slow to connect Dropbox can see this as a total deletion and wipe everything. Then, when the drive is connected replicate that wipe to the drive. There are LOTS of horror stories on here about it - especially in just a few directories etc. 

2) No. It doesnt work like that. 1 PC = 1 drive. You cannot move the Dropbox folder around like that as the internal databases will corrupt. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Hosting Dropbox on an External Hard Drive

Mtang78
Explorer | Level 3
So what do I do? The PC that originally had the files and folders on is getting wiped and rebuilt the files and folder are not going to be put back on that PC. Currently I was able to undelete the files and folders so they are back on that PC... and also on the external hard drive. So what if I just want to store everything on the Dropbox cloud? I don't want to lose everything again.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?