cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Upload A File Without The Original Being Deleted?

How Do I Upload A File Without The Original Being Deleted?

New member | Level 2

So basically I upload massive files through DropBox desktop, but whenever I upload a file it deletes it from my hard drive and makes it online only. What I need to happen is when I upload a file, DropBox acts like it does in the browser where a copy of my file is uploaded instead of the file becoming online only. I am sick of having to move the uploaded files back onto the hard drives in my vault, and would like to know if anyone has a solution for this. If there isn't, guess I'll save a couple hundred bucks on DropBox by cancelling my membership.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How Do I Upload A File Without The Original Being Deleted?

New member | Level 2

Hi @Daphene, I reset Windows on my PC and reinstalled DropBox and it seems to be working now. I wasn't sure if DropBox had compatibility issues with external drives or something, but looks like it may have been purely a software error. Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer

Thanks for posting @AngryAnarchist, let's see what we can find here.

The files should be staying locally on your computer, unless you make the file "online only" manually through the right click menu.

Once you add the file to the Dropbox folder, does the file become "online only" right away? Or does this occur after a while?

If you right click the file and choose "Smart Sync - Local", does the file remain locally on your computer, or become "online only" by itself?

Let me know and we can take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi @Daphene, I reset Windows on my PC and reinstalled DropBox and it seems to be working now. I wasn't sure if DropBox had compatibility issues with external drives or something, but looks like it may have been purely a software error. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

Thanks for your update here @AngryAnarchist!

If you have the Dropbox folder itself on an external hard drive, this could be the cause of the unexpected behaviour that you saw there.

External drives are not fully supported locations for the Dropbox folder, and in this case, I can suggest checking out the info at the top of this article for some more info.

Having said that, I'm glad to hear it's working fine now. If you have any other questions, or issues, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?