cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Remove The /DropBox from the path In C Drive

How To Remove The /DropBox from the path In C Drive

TitanxD
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Whenver I navigate through my folder, and go to the main drive, the path makes no sense as it is /dropbox/my pc. I deleted dropbox and its still there pls help. How do i remove the dropbox folder and dropbox from the path. its driving me nuts!snip.png

that is the /dropbox thing im talking about. i want it removed!!!

59 Replies 59

yotamr30
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have already deleted the drop box application, but there is still a folder named drop box with my desktop, documents and downloads in it...

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you tried dragging the files in those folders back to their default locations on your machine, and then deleting the empty folders in Dropbox?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

yotamr30
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I just tried backing up all the folders that have the dropbox path (documents, desktop and downloads), deleting completely the dropbox directory including all of it's contents and than I transfered the files from the backup to their original directory.

the deletion of the dropbox directory worked but after i retrieved my files from the backup, although i put them in a non dropbox path - the dropbox directory reappeared and so did all the files i retreived from the back up inside the dropbox directory...

for some reason, even though I deleted dropbox from my pc, they seem to be linked somehow.

I would very much like to solve this, all my desktop, documents and downloads appear inside the dropbox directory no matter what I do...

I would very much appreciate your help..

FayH
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have uninstalled Dropbox, but previously I set up the desktop syn still remains.
I mean for example, the file on the desktop has the path like
"C:\Users\GVLAB_Python\Dropbox\mycomputer (DESKTOP-000000)\Desktop"

I would like it go back to normal, like "C:\Users\GVLAB_Python\Desktop"

How can I do it automatically?    (or in worse situation, maually, one by one)

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @FayH, I've merged your post to a thread with a similar question.

Could you try the steps in this post to see if they help?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jen Quinn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed dropbox on my Windows 10 PC and it automatically started synching everything until I ran out of space. The problem is that it changed a bunch of pathways and now my business software doesn't run correctly. After hours on tech support with my business software provider, we discovered that it was because dropbox changed a bunch of pathways. I followed the instructions for uninstallation thinking things would go back to the way they were, but they didn't. Now, I have an empty dropbox folder on my PC, but when I go to remove it, there's a ton of stuff (everything it uploaded to the cloud) that tries to delete. Several things are still showing dropbox in the pathway, and I just need to know if there is a way to revert everything back to before I installed and ran dropbox. Please help me! I am so frustrated.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jen Quinn, I've merged this post to a thread with similar requests. As you've already uninstalled the Dropbox desktop application, most likely you didn't disable the computer backup feature before doing so, which would have restored the folder paths.

Could you try the steps in this post to see if they help?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

reagananthony78
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I so hoped that would have worked 😞
When I select the folder from its original location and right click and go to preferences it shows it being as it should be. There is no location button but it looks like it's in the right place. However, when I left click to select it, I get an error message that the file has been moved. I took some screen shots but I don't know how to attach them to this message.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You should be able to attach the screenshot using the camera icon just above the reply box here @reagananthony78.

Also, could you try these steps to see if we can reset the folder paths a different way?
  1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. Hold the keys "Alt+H".
  6. Click the option "Reset OS folders".

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ryanjames
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

There is the word "Location" but not tab with Location. The word is not clickable. What now?

Properties.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Lifesavingsfinancial New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?