cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Remove The /DropBox from the path In C Drive

How To Remove The /DropBox from the path In C Drive

TitanxD
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Whenver I navigate through my folder, and go to the main drive, the path makes no sense as it is /dropbox/my pc. I deleted dropbox and its still there pls help. How do i remove the dropbox folder and dropbox from the path. its driving me nuts!snip.png

that is the /dropbox thing im talking about. i want it removed!!!

59 Replies 59

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In that case, could you click on the 'Advanced' button and then navigate to the 'Location' tab @ryanjames?

It should be the 4th tab from left to right. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ryanjames
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Still not seeing what you think I should be seeing. This is the properties and then the second box is what comes up after the ADVANCED box. What am I missing?

Advanced.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You'll need to look through the Desktop, Downloads, and Document folders to try and reset the paths.

Give it one more try and let us know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Daniell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem and i can`t change the location file to default because i got this error :  can`t redirect into reparse point, please choose different target path. 

ryanjames
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I solved the problem by reformatting the hard drive. No more issues. An extreme measure, but the only solution that worked.

drsahi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

I saw your post, I am having difficulty in probably getting the correct file path, I want to remove Dropbox from my C drive, that too without having to format the hard drive. I saw your instructions but am not able to get to location - I think I`m doing it wrong. Can you please send me screen shots on how to do it and restore the file path to my regular C drive - I am using windows 10 home version, and have inserted a screenshot for reference. 

Thanks

Vivek

Dropbox - Dr Sahi.JPG

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @drsahi!

Can you clarify if you wish to move your Dropbox folder on a different path in your hard drive? 

Or if you want to restore the Documents, Downloads, and Desktop folders to their original locations?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dreamboxrules
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I tried this to no avail. Nothing is changing my default folders back to my hard drive. Please advise.

Rsk33
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There is no location tab. I have uninstalled your program yet there are remnants of its existence. What do I need to do to restore my pc and eliminate any traces dropbox ever existed.

I get the same error for can't redirect into resparse point, chose a different path. Windows knows the original and your software is blocking it. 

need a fix

ashokray
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Having the same problem here. This is kind of ridiculous and will definitely not be using dropbox ever again. This should not be such an issue. 

Edit: I figured it a workaround that will placate some of us that had this issue.

After going to the "location" in the "documents property"---you can just create a new location with a small change such as C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents1 and or however you want to rename a new folder to create...move items and then you now have that silly dropbox link gone. How invasive of dropbox without an easy out. Still do not plan to use dropbox out of frustration. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Lifesavingsfinancial New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?