cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I clear the contents of my Dropbox without affecting my computer?

Explorer | Level 4

DropBox copied my whole computer inadvertently. I'm really new to DropBox and I want to clear teh entire contents without affecting everything on my computer. Not knowing much about DropBox I'm reluctant to do anything. I may have deleted a lot of files from DropBox and not sure if they are gone. I want to start over with a clean DropBox and more knowlege. 

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Deleting files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @JoJoMiro, thanks for reaching out to us here!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature during the installation of the desktop app on your computer. This syncs your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders to Dropbox.

If you'd like to disable this then please follow the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article. Then, you can move the files from your Dropbox folder back to your local computer folders.

Let me know how it goes and we can take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, seems DropBox is too dangerous to use without fully understanding how it works and why. I'd like to start over with an empty box. Right now it is full and it would be much easier to add rather than delete.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @JoJoMiro!

I understand that would be the best option for you. The easiest way to do this would actually be to move all the contents of the Dropbox folder on your computer to another location for now (eg. Desktop).

This will remove all the files from your Dropbox account but keep everything locally on your computer. You can then move back only the files that you want to sync into the Dropbox folder.

Please bear in mind that to do this you'll need to disable the backup first with the steps I mentioned above before being able to remove the "My PC/Mac" folder from Dropbox.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

OK, I turned off all back up options and restarted my computer. Now everthing on my desk top and documents folder is gone and only in drop box. I really hate this app and want to get rid of it completely.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Looks like I have gotten everything back on my desk top and my drop box is not full any more. When I search things on dropbox folder the show up as being on my computer. How do I find out how much space is available in the drop box? The back up feature is turned off, if there is nothing can I trash what is in Drop Box. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

To check the space used in your Dropbox account, you can check from your Plan page online here.

Also, if your Dropbox folder is showing as empty now @JoJoMiro, then there shouldn't be anything within your Dropbox account. If there are still files remaining within the Dropbox folder, then you can move these to another place on your computer to completely empty the Dropbox account.

The Dropbox folder on your computer is like a reflection of the files in your account online. Anything appearing in that folder will be syncing with your Dropbox account online, so anything you remove from that folder is removed from your account online too.

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?