cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I delete backed documents from Dropbox w/o loosing them on my MAC

How can I delete backed documents from Dropbox w/o loosing them on my MAC

D_A
New member | Level 2

I accidentally synched files from my Mac that I want to keep only on my Mac. How can move them from DropBox w/o deleting them from my Mac?

11 Replies 11

Re: How can I delete backed documents from Dropbox w/o loosing them on my MAC

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @D_A, thanks for messaging today!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

If you need any further info, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

belinmotion
Explorer | Level 3

I also did this by mistake and want my files back from Dropbox.  However, HOW do I move them back?  Dropbox changed Finder organization on my computer.  I only see my files through Dropbox. I see them with a green check on them and do not know how to return to my computer.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @belinmotion, have you tried the previous steps mentioned to disable the computer backup feature?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

belinmotion
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I did but only after I saw that a backup was happening.  I paused it but was not able to cancel it.  It is still waiting to complete backing up all my files.  I want to stop it and return the files already copied over to Dropbox.

Jay
Dropboxer
If you unpause the syncing and try to complete the disabling of the feature, does this help?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

belinmotion
Explorer | Level 3

No!  The second I resume the sync more of my files start going.  It is basically copying my whole hard drive and I can't seem to stop it.

When I try to log-in on Dropbox.com it doesn't let me. I enter my email and password and it greys out and doesn't load.  When I click the app icon in the bottom bar, it shows me that my whole hard drive is inside Dropbox.  This is making me very, very, upset !  I do not want my hard drive copied in Dropbox. Please, how can I revert this?  I don't want to lose my files!!  

Can you outline, steps 1, 2, 3 to do this?  I am not a tech person, I need it spelled out. Is the access through my Finder or through the app in the top menu on my computer? If I go to Manage my folders and uncheck all the folders, one of which is my entire hard drive, then,  SAVE,  I see sync is paused.  If I check all the boxes, I don't get any choices, I am just enabling the copying.

I think I need to get to SET UP and re-do permissions, etc. but I don't know how or where this is accessed.  

I want only a few files on Dropbox.  Is it possible to revert this situation?

Jay
Dropboxer
As you saw, clicking manage my folders and deselecting all the folders will stop the computer backup feature.

If you do that, then you'll have the option to move the files back to the default location on your machine.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

belinmotion
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your patience!  I think I can be clearer now.

This is what I believe is happening.  When I allowed dropbox to access my computer files, the backup option was enabled and it

began a download of the content of my computer.  This download is 'in progress'.  The 'manage my backups', check and uncheck show

a check in download and the name of my computer, hard drive greyed out with a minus sign.  I uncheck both, save and sign out.  However, when I go back and open the 'manage my backups', the download is checked again and shows my hard drive still greyed out with a minus sign in the check box.  So, my first question is " how can I abort the download"?

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you attach a screenshot of what you're seeing on the machine, with the checkboxes and the greyed out box?

You can take a screenshot using these steps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    belinmotion Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?