cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I delete files locally without deleting them online

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I already have smart sync and have switched it on for many folders. 

However, when I go to delete these files locally, Dropbox asks if I want to delete them from everywhere (including Dropbix online). 

There does not appear to be a "delete this copy only" option. 

This seems to defeat the whole purpose of Dropbox smart sync? 

Please help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How can I delete files locally without deleting them online

Super User II
Super User II

You don't have to delete files locally if you're using Smart Sync.

If Smart Sync is enabled and you've set a file as Online-only, then the file no longer exists on your computer. What you're seeing is just a reference to it, a place-holder if you will.

If you don't want folders to appear on your computer at all, and you only want them stored online, then you want to use Selective Sync; not Smart Sync.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You don't have to delete files locally if you're using Smart Sync.

If Smart Sync is enabled and you've set a file as Online-only, then the file no longer exists on your computer. What you're seeing is just a reference to it, a place-holder if you will.

If you don't want folders to appear on your computer at all, and you only want them stored online, then you want to use Selective Sync; not Smart Sync.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich! 

I tried to use selective sync using their instructions but the "app" selection on Windows 7 just loads Explorer which obviously only has Smart Sync not Selective Sync. 

Back to Square one....

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@MartinFisk wrote:

I tried to use selective sync using their instructions but the "app" selection on Windows 7 just loads Explorer which obviously only has Smart Sync not Selective Sync.

You're clicking the wrong icon. You need to click the Dropbox icon in your system tray, which is the area by your clock.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?