Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I determine whether I've shared a file?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

how do i know if a file was actulaly shared? And is there any way to see when the shared memebers have actully viewed the file. I need this information for a legal matter. Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: shared files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (rainbow123 ), you’ll be able to see when someone views any files you own if you’ve toggled the “Viewer info on for all files I own” option to “On” in your Account settings. From there, you may also be able to see when someone last viewed a file depending on the Dropbox plan you have

At this point, it would be worth noting that when someone accesses a shared link and wasn’t specifically invited to the file, they appear as a Guest viewing the file. This implies that there’s a limitation on the info you could gather on your end depending on the sharing method you’ve chosen. 

To determine which folders have been shared, I’d like to point you on the icons on the folders themselves (i.e. shared folders will have a two-people icon on them 👥 while links will be marked with a 🔗).

Spoiler
Sharing_Organize@2x.gif
You can also review all the Files you’ve shared here, while all the files you’ve shared via a shared link are recorded here

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on the matter & please do keep me know here if you have any follow-up questions or I have misunderstood your query in any way; I’m positive we’ll get this sorted soon! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: shared files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (rainbow123 ), you’ll be able to see when someone views any files you own if you’ve toggled the “Viewer info on for all files I own” option to “On” in your Account settings. From there, you may also be able to see when someone last viewed a file depending on the Dropbox plan you have

At this point, it would be worth noting that when someone accesses a shared link and wasn’t specifically invited to the file, they appear as a Guest viewing the file. This implies that there’s a limitation on the info you could gather on your end depending on the sharing method you’ve chosen. 

To determine which folders have been shared, I’d like to point you on the icons on the folders themselves (i.e. shared folders will have a two-people icon on them 👥 while links will be marked with a 🔗).

Spoiler
Sharing_Organize@2x.gif
You can also review all the Files you’ve shared here, while all the files you’ve shared via a shared link are recorded here

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on the matter & please do keep me know here if you have any follow-up questions or I have misunderstood your query in any way; I’m positive we’ll get this sorted soon! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?