cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I disable computer backups?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've tried turning off the back up to PC. I go to the Dropbox icon in the bottom right hand of the screen, go to preferences and there is no import tab as advised. There is a back up tab but I only have the option to turn it on, once it's on there is no option to switch it off. When I try unticking downloads, desktop and documents I am unable to click next. I have spent hours trying to reverse stupidly clicking yes to back ups. 

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: How can I disable computer backups?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @mariella1988, thanks for posting on the Community!

It sounds like you might have successfully disabled the feature.

Could you try these steps to move the folders back to their old locations to see if this is possible?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay

Unfortunately, when i follow the links to reply to your message I am asked to create a new username so I have had to create this one, I can't simply login. If this were resolved, I wouldn't have created the ticket, I follow all the instructions and nothing works to switch off back ups. When I untick downloads, desktop and documents in back ups I am unable to save or move forward from here so the settings remain unchanged. 

Mariella

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

To clarify, there is no option "Manage back ups" on PC. This is what it looks like, see attached. When I click set up and try to untick the options, the next button is not longer available. Every item on my desktop still has your green or blue sync circle on it. Do you reckon it would be easier for everyone if you made it much simpler to switch this option on and off? As it stands Dropbox is unusable on this device without purchasing more storage which we simply don't need. IMG_8798.jpgIMG_8799.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again, @mariella19881, the Dropbox forum profile and user account are linked to each other.

If you had to create a new user profile, this means you’ve created a new Dropbox account for some reason. 

I'd like you to check the email and also look carefully for typos in any of these places:

• On your computer, click on the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar or system tray. Click on the avatar on the top right, then Preferences, and Account.
  • On the Dropbox website, click on your avatar or the face in the top right corner, then click Settings.

Regarding the issue, have you tried disconnecting the device from your Dropbox account on this page? If you have, could you forward a screenshot of the syncing desktop folder that shows up in the Dropbox folder?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

I'm not logged into Dropbox on this community page, there was simply no option to login, when i click "open community" on the email, there is only the option to sign up or reset. There is no login button anywhere on the community page nor when i search on Google "Dropbox community login". Fortunately I am still logged in since my last session. This doesn't concern me, I am simply trying to switch off back ups.

I've tried uninstalling Dropbox 3 times (not sure what device you're refering to?) and when i reinstall it each time the settings are all saved. Please can you tell me how I can turn back ups off? Did you see my screenshots? What should I be clicking?

Kind regards,

Mariella

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

The link I provided previously should give you the option to see all your connected devices. If there are none there, then this means your device isn’t linked to Dropbox, so it shouldn’t be syncing the My PC folder.

If you try dragging the folders out of the Dropbox folder, does it allow it to move?

Jay

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay

I've tried unlinking the computer via your suggested method, that does disconnect the computer. However, as soon as we sign back in it is reconnected again. Then the storage is still completely full because the files are still backed up, I literally just want to switch off back ups, why is there no way of doing this?

Mariella 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Please read this - https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/How-can-I-turn-off-the-automatic-computer-back...

Many people experience the same problems with constant error messages trying to drag and drop PC files back to the desktop and no options to switch back ups off. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @mariella19881, sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Could you send us a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Backups tab looks like when you open your desktop app's preferences?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?