cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find the total number of files in a folder?

How can I find the total number of files in a folder?

rotzooi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Boy, am I disappointed with Dropbox. I assumed that each folder would display the number of files in that folder, without me jumping through all kinds of hoops. This seems not to be the case, however... 

Did anyone come up with a nifty solution to this problem?

25 Replies 25

MrLawrence
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I would also like to be able to check the number of files in a folder that has subfolders, so that I can check on the progress of a remote process that is uploading to Dropbox but that I can't otherwise access while I'm away from home.

It'd also just be nice to know what's actually in your Dropbox.........

dazzop
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, this would be another example of a disorganised company with a disorganised app, I'm afraid! MacBook Pro and Android won't show this, but iPhone X did! Not sure if it does still, though!

pkelly
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

No matter how the question is posed, the standard replies are:

1. use the Dropbox folder on your PC, and then you can use your PC to find out. Problem solved. (The problem is the website of course!)

2. Using the website? Then do a CTRL-A and you'll see the number of folders top right. Problem Solved. (Come on!)

There is never a simple answer to what people want to know, i.e. how can we find the number of files in a folder including ALL SUBFOLDERS? (This is something people commonly do in a simple way with Windows, i.e ight click on a folder, select Properties.)

Can you find this information in Dropbox?

pkelly
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why do many of these questions have "Solved! Go to the solution" beside them, when clearly the simple question(s) have not been answered or solved.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@pkelly wrote:

No matter how the question is posed, the standard replies are:

Because those are your only options. There is no feature to get a file count using the Dropbox website.

TWalker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You are correct.  Questions are not answered.  It appears it is some bot's job to guess the most likely answer after a predefined period of time.  The bot's action is supposed to  make you believe that somebody is actually paying attention to questions.  

There is no support.  And 'the Community' certainly can not fix, or even report, the program's short comings even after everyone in the Community has came to the conclusion it needs fixed.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey peeps, just dropping in here!

At the moment, we don't have a feature within Dropbox that allows you to see a total of how many files are within a folder and all its subfolders online.

The current suggested work around is that if you have the desktop app syncing your files, you can use the default file browser options to see the number of files.

We really do appreciate all the feedback we get for existing and desired features that we get.

Currently, we have a feature request thread for this ability online here, so if you like the idea, I'd suggest sharing your thoughts and upvoting the idea too.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

natlipson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This will NOT work if there are MANY files (thousands) in the folder because the webpage loads them in groups. So if, for example, you have a folder with 50,000 files, that method would actually miselad you to think there are much less than there are.

Allen77
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Pretty incredible that Dropbox does not have this very basic feature.  I am in the same boat. So much for comparing backups and restores with total file numbers. 

Each dropbox folder should have an option called "Folder Info". That, at the very least, should tell you the size and file count of the folder. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Allen77 and @natlipson, thanks for sharing your thoughts here!

We currently have a request for this feature in our "Share an idea" section here. If you'd like to show your support for this, please check it out an upvote the idea.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but please don't hesitate to get back to me here with any other questions.

Have a great day!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jackcalling New member | Level 2
    Lady Di New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    TFlash Explorer | Level 3
    rebelPhil New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?