cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I fix infinite sync of unchanged files?

Highlighted

How can I fix infinite sync of unchanged files?

New member | Level 2

I am running Dropbox on several macs, and have been running into a problem recently (past couple of weeks) that a small number of files sync ceaselessly. I've narrowed it down to where the problem is reproducible with just two Macs running. Symptoms are:
- Dropbox spins constantly (menuitem shows "downloading file list") and CPU on both machines is constantly at 100%
- Every few moments the change notice pops up "15 files have been updated to latest version" - it's the same 15 over and over and over. But in the finder, on both machines, these 15 are not changed recently - they retain their original creation/modified/added dates of days ago
- These files are 15 in a folder of about 1000 files, but only the same 15 are being affected right now.

Yesterday I had the same problem in a different folder with 7 files (out of over 5000 in that folder) - I eventually tried removing them from Dropbox, then uploaded through the web app. That actually worked - they synced from the cloud down to each machine and the infinite cycling stopped.

No antivirus. Yosemite latest, Dropbox latest, even tried the 3.1 beta.
No console errors.
I tried turning off LAN sync on one machine and it made no differenc.

Surely I'm not the only one to run into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

New member | Level 1

Tried logging out of the account on both mac?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Logging out, rebooting - makes no difference. As soon as both machines are running it starts up on the same 15 files. On one machine, I installed the 3.1 beta and turned off LAN sync and there was no change to the infinite sync behavior.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

OK, not sure.

Have not seen this yet. Working with 20,000+ MacBook Air.

Surely I will one day. Trying to replicate for you right now. Was already playing around with dropbox, hence my visiting to these forums today.

What about moving the 15 files to another folder and temporary deleting them and then adding them back?

Try a full reinstall of Dropbox? Yeah I'd do this last if you can help it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

I am having the same issue... getting really pissed off at dropbox right now (especially after paying for a year) :/

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I have tried moving the files out of their dropbox folder - and things immediately become normal. Also if I pause synching on one of the two machines.

As before if I move the files out of dropbox on one of the computers, then upload them via the web app, they sync to each computer and things become normal. Then a few hours later, another file entered this state and it was right back to the previous infinite sync state - 100% CPU, always "downloading file list", and the file updating on each machine every 15-20 seconds

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...does anone have the solution to this!! This is driving me absolutely mad!!!!!

Macbook Pro Laptop is running OSX Yosemite Dropbox v3.2.6
iMAc is running OSX 10.8.5 - Dropbox v3.2.6
Macbok Air OSX 10.8.5 v3.0.3

If I shut down the air the problem still persits.

If I shutdown the Macbook Pro it stops

I am always getting 41 Files syncing notifications...alway 41!!

This is nuts as I have never had any ossues with dropbox...its been a very good friend.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1

I am having the same issue here - started two days ago.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?