cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I free up space on my account?

Highlighted

How can I free up space on my account?

Explorer | Level 3

So I recently downloaded Dropbox, not by choice but a team I just became a member of uses it. 

I was out of space right away, and being new to this tool became quickly frustrated by the barrage of pop-ups, emails, etc directing me to buy more space. The last thing I want right now is another service drawing $ out of my account. Also, not being the most tech savvy person, struggled to delete files easily and quickly. I think there should be a way to select multiple files and delete them all at once, etc. Maybe there is, it's just not easily apparent.

I do not want to upgrade to more storage, I only want to use drop box as a tool with the team I am apart of. I do not want my whole computer backed up by drop box. So, how can I get rid of all (ALL) the unnecessary stuff on drop box (but keep them on my computer) and use it exclusivly for the files being shred by the new team I am apart of?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Space- urrgh!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @KVD, thanks for posting on the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online and free up space.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Space- urrgh!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @KVD, thanks for posting on the Community!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online and free up space.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?