cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I generate an audit report including who has access to our files?

How can I generate an audit report including who has access to our files?

MikeAtInSpeed
Helpful | Level 5

I've noticed a file here and a file there where someone has granted access to someone outside our company. 

I need to generate an audir report of these access grants to make sure we don't have any security issues.

How can I do this?

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
I dont think you can.

Shared links are viewable by anybody, at all. There is no security authentication on them when people go to view them unless a password has been set (and even then anybody can use the password if they have it).

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/view-only-access

The following may also help:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/team-sharing
https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/share-outside-team

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MikeAtInSpeed
Helpful | Level 5

I can see the sharing that's been set on individual files and folder, but what I need is an overall report of who can access which files. I'm not sure how to demostrate or prove to an auditor that we have access of information under any control at all in Dropbox.

Maybe OneDrive wasn't so bad.

Oh, yes, it was.

Mark
Super User II
You cant do what you want I'm afraid because there is no way of knowing who is accessing (or has accessed) those files. Thats because, as I said, they are just a 'web link' that anybody at all can access - there is no authentication or ID appended to the links to know who is accessing what/when.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MikeAtInSpeed
Helpful | Level 5

Let me try again. I want to know which users have been granted access to files. I don't care if they have accessed them in the past. I care about whether they can access them now or in the future. Who has access to which data is the question.

The dropbox UI I've seen does not seem to provide a way to do this which suprises me because it seems like such a necessary part of any security/privacy audit. I'm hoping I just haven't looked hard enogh or I missed some key point. I'd hate to have to move all my company's data off dropbox because I can't provide the audit data needed.

I'm not willing to look through all of the individual files. I need a report of some sort that will provide this information.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I'm not sure if this helps (as I don't know the exact plan you're on) but have you tried going to your Admin's Console and then on the Activity Tab from the left pane @MikeAtInSpeed? More info on how to create an activity report can be found here . 

Let me know if this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Mark
Super User II
The issue is Mike as I have said - that information is NOT available if they are not within your own company.

As I have said "there is no way of knowing who is accessing (or has accessed) those files. Thats because, they are just a 'web link' that anybody at all can access - there is no authentication or ID appended to the links to know who is accessing what/when".

The data listed by Walter shows WHAT files are shared but not WITH WHOM. Because that bit is not available. Its not stored. Its not recorded.

jase04
New member | Level 2

I have your exact same question/challenge. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jase04 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    MikeAtInSpeed Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?