cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get back my files after being removed from a team account?

Highlighted

How can I get back my files after being removed from a team account?

Explorer | Level 3

Three years ago I merged my personal account with my new jobs business account. This week I have left that job, but the admins removed me from the team and I lost all my personal files too. They’ve tried to send me my files, but they are still the owner of my files and paper docs.
How do I get my personal files back??

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Get my personal account back

Dropboxer

Hello there @Jodi132, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Since they've already shared your files back to you, they can transfer the ownership of the files to you with these steps.

Once they've done this, you can unshare the data with them too.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Thanks Daphne!
Will this also help with my paper docs? Is there a way for them to transfer ownership without accessing/opening? I hate that my confidential info is now open to former coworkers. Is it possible for Dropbox support to reinstate and give me ownership back?
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne is it possible to have Dropbox restore my account and I change the permissions? I'm not confident my previous employer is giving me back all of my personal files. And it appears that my former team admin is still the creator of my paper files. Please advise... thank you!

Highlighted

Get my full account back!

Explorer | Level 3

Scenario:

Three years ago I joined my work place's dropbox team. Last week I left the company. The team admin deleted my account and transferred all of my files (including personal ones) to himself. 

Question: how do I get my personal files back?? He says he has shared them with me, but I'm not convinced he's given me all of my files back. And the files that he has shared, he still has access and is showing as the owner.

Is there ANY way for Dropbox support to give me back my access? Or is it a lost cause at this point?

Highlighted

Re: Get my full account back!

Dropboxer

Hi @Jodi132, only the team admin can transfer the ownership of the shared folders back to your account. Paper docs can only have their ownership transferred to other team members.

Our support team wouldn't be able to make these changes, unfortunately.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @Jodi132!

When they removed you from the team, since they shared the files back to you, it means they transferred the files (and ownership) to another member of the team. 

If they were to invite you back to the team, it wouldn't automatically transfer the ownership back to your account.

However, since you need to transfer back the ownership of the Paper docs too, you would need to be added back to team.

Currently, ownership of Paper docs can only be transferred to another member of the same Business team.

I'm afraid that at least the current owner of the files will need to access the docs to transfer the ownership over to you. However, you can then remove their access.remove their access.

Once the ownership of all your files and Paper docs have been given back, the admin can remove you from the team in the correct way, by converting your account to an individual account (instead of deleting it as before).

I understand that this isn't ideal, but this will help you recover all of your files and remove any access the team has to them in the process.

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?