cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I get someone to upload photos to my account?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a basic Dropbox account.  My friend Tim does not have a Dropbox account but has pictures from a recent wedding we attended that he would like to send to me.  If I were to create an empty folder in my Dropbox account & send a link for this folder to Tim can he place the picture files in the folder so that I can access them?  If the preceding suggested method does not work does anyone know of any other method, or technique, for Tim to send the pictures he has using my Dropbox account?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Sharing Picture Files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Ed-10 - sorry for the slightl delay in my response; how are you today?

There is a great option to achieve this with Dropbox and it's our File Requests feature

Users who do not have a Dropbox account like your friend Tim can submit files via the File request feature. These users will receive an upload link in their email account and can use that link to upload files stored on their device's hard drive while the user (Tim in this case) only needs to have access to their email account to use the provided link.

Read on for more information on how to create a File request from your end now Ed:  

Spoiler

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Click File requests.
  4. Click Request files.
  5. Enter a name for the folder that will store all collected files under What are you requesting?
  6. Under Where should these files go in your Dropbox?, you'll see the path to the new folder populate. If you'd like to change the folder's location, click Change folder.
  7. Dropbox Professional or Business users can add a deadline for these submissions. Click Add a deadline to set your deadline. You can also Allow late uploads and choose a timeframe.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Click Copy link to copy the file request link and send it to anyone you want to request files from. Or you can enter emails of the people you need files from and send the file request directly from Dropbox.
  10. Click Done.

You’ll receive an email whenever people upload files to your file request. 

[By default the uploaded files are private. You can share the uploaded files by selecting a shared folder or by sending a link to the files.]

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions Ed! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Sharing Picture Files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Ed-10 - sorry for the slightl delay in my response; how are you today?

There is a great option to achieve this with Dropbox and it's our File Requests feature

Users who do not have a Dropbox account like your friend Tim can submit files via the File request feature. These users will receive an upload link in their email account and can use that link to upload files stored on their device's hard drive while the user (Tim in this case) only needs to have access to their email account to use the provided link.

Read on for more information on how to create a File request from your end now Ed:  

Spoiler

1. Sign in to dropbox.com.
  2. Click Files.
  3. Click File requests.
  4. Click Request files.
  5. Enter a name for the folder that will store all collected files under What are you requesting?
  6. Under Where should these files go in your Dropbox?, you'll see the path to the new folder populate. If you'd like to change the folder's location, click Change folder.
  7. Dropbox Professional or Business users can add a deadline for these submissions. Click Add a deadline to set your deadline. You can also Allow late uploads and choose a timeframe.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Click Copy link to copy the file request link and send it to anyone you want to request files from. Or you can enter emails of the people you need files from and send the file request directly from Dropbox.
  10. Click Done.

You’ll receive an email whenever people upload files to your file request. 

[By default the uploaded files are private. You can share the uploaded files by selecting a shared folder or by sending a link to the files.]

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions Ed! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?