cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I have my Excel update for everyone?

How can I have my Excel update for everyone?

Explorer | Level 3

Until now I have simply used Dropbox for file storage.  However I am now part of an organisation that has a folder in my db that they update from time to time.  One of these updates is an Excel template with a further file of info to be indexed in Excel.

I have been downloading the Excel file to my PC (my download folder).  The download folder does not update in Dropbox as I gradually complete the spreadsheet.  When it is completed I email it as an attachment to the organisation.

Sorry if this is convoluted but what I would like to do is update the Excel file automatically to dp from my PC.  Presumably when completed I can move the file in dp to my organisation dp folder.  Help appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Re: Excel

Dropboxer

Hey there @rogtut, thanks for reaching out to us. 

When you manually download from the website, you save a copy of the file.

This means that any changes you make are only going to be reflected for you on that newly-created file. 

For other members of the shared folder to be able to see your edits, you can do one of the following:

• If possible, edit the file directly via the website. 
  • Install the desktop app and edit the file locally on your computer.

You can find more information about the desktop app in this article, and more on syncing in this one

Let me know if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?