cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I know when someone accesses a shared folder?

How can I know when someone accesses a shared folder?

graphicsquirrel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I used to be able to share a folder with someone, send them a link, and then be able to hover over their little icon to see if they had accessed the folder.  This is very important when I am trying to meet a deadline and want to be sure the link has been received and used.  I checked "recents", but it didn't have any lines about people opening shared folders.  I also checked "sharing", but according to that page, I haven't created any links since last year sometime, and I know that isn't true.  Has dropbox removed the ability to check to see if the link has been used or the folder been joined?  Is there some other way to see if someone has accessed a shared folder or used a link that was sent to them?  Thanks!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It doesn't work that way anymore. When you invite someone, they have access, period. They have the ability to leave* and join the share at will, until they remove it from their Dropbox or you remove them from the share. You can see that they're a member, but you can't see when they leave or join in (until they remove it from their Dropbox).

* Leaving a share does not remove it from their account. It simply takes the share out of their Dropbox. They can no longer access it, but they can rejoin it at anytime. When a user removes a share it is removed from their account completely and it can no longer be rejoined.

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Matt, refer to my reply above. It no longer works that way. As soon as you invite someone to a shared folder, they have access. There is no longer a need to accept the invitation.

mbrandt
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

No. Just open your folder. Take a look at the picture attached. The files of the folder are listed on the left, and the names of the people on the right. MB is me. The other person I shared the folder with "c" hasn't accessed it yet. I know this by placing my cursor on top of the "c" and the message in grey (I covered her email address to protect her privacy) appears. Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 1.44.04 PM.png

23 Replies 23

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You can see if a shared folder has been joined at www.dropbox.com/share but you could never actually track shared links (https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/view-only-access) as Dropbox doesnt track that information.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

graphicsquirrel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, Mark.  I know there used to be a way to know if someone had joined the folder because I relied on that for knowing if my ads were being received by the agency in time.  Perhaps I am not remembering exactly the way it worked, but I do know that it was accessible from the page where the folders are listed with the little round icons on the right.  I'm quite sure it said something like "So and So has joined the folder"... Now all I see is "So and So can edit", but that doesn't tell me if they have actually opened the folder or not.  Seems like that would be an important thing to know!  🙂 

So, just curious, how do I know if a shared folder has been joined on the page you point out?  When I go to my Shared page, I see: On the Folders page, a list of folders with only the ... beside them to share or folder settings |  Files is completely empty | Links has a few individual files listed, but it only says Delete Link or Link Settings.  I hate to waste your time, but this is driving me crazy and I appreciate your help.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It doesn't work that way anymore. When you invite someone, they have access, period. They have the ability to leave* and join the share at will, until they remove it from their Dropbox or you remove them from the share. You can see that they're a member, but you can't see when they leave or join in (until they remove it from their Dropbox).

* Leaving a share does not remove it from their account. It simply takes the share out of their Dropbox. They can no longer access it, but they can rejoin it at anytime. When a user removes a share it is removed from their account completely and it can no longer be rejoined.

graphicsquirrel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well it seems Dropbox is heading in the direction Adobe has headed - making changes without thinking about how users will be affected.  That's disappointing.  Now I will have to email or call until I get an answer from the people I share with - and who has time for that these days? 

Mark and Rich, I appreciate your replies very much!! 

mattT
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You say I can see who joined a shared foleder, but how can I see this? There is no column or other indication at dropbox.com/share that indicates if someone has joined. It appears to me that once I add an email, the system assumes the recipent has joined. Does "Join"  mean sync, or access through a browser using a password?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Matt, refer to my reply above. It no longer works that way. As soon as you invite someone to a shared folder, they have access. There is no longer a need to accept the invitation.

JMRhodes
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Seems to me no one has actually answered the question, which is simply this: You share a folder, the person/s you're sharing it wth get an email, OK. How, though, do you know though if that person has responded and accessed the shared folder? That's all there is to it. I recently shared a folder with someone in Poland. I still have no idea if he has accessed or downloaded the file's contents. There really ought to be an icon indicating this.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

JMRhodes wrote:

Seems to me no one has actually answered the question

I have answered it.

How, though, do you know though if that person has responded and accessed the shared folder?

You don't, as the share function no longer works that way. As soon as you invite someone, they have access. You cannot see when they access the files. You can only see if they are a member or not, and they are a member as soon as you send the invitation.

cviegasb
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi

I heartily agree with Graphic Squirrel.

It is really important to know, as we used to, whether someone has actually accepted a share invitation and used it. I have several cases now where I think someone is sharing because I invited them and I have no information to the contrary. I then find they are not, or may not even have a Dropbox acount. It is really important to me - and it seems many, many users - to know whether someone is or is not sharing folders to which they have been invited. 

This change seems to have been made without asking users and without any warning or announcement. That is bad - please don't join Adobe in the Awful Customer Service Club. 

Let's just get this clear. Sending a link is one thing - we can't usually expect to know if they actually used the link.  An "invitation" is another.

Perhaps I can help with use of English here. "Invitation" is an English word which means a polite offer to someone, who then has the choice to accept or refuse. In normal society we expect to be able to find out whether they have accepted or not; we cannot assume they have accepted just because we have invited them.  Dropbox now assumes if they invite someone they will always come. Their parties must be really amazing!

So, Dropbox, given you've changed the way "invitations" work without bothering to ask us how WE actually work, please stop abusing the English language (same for invitación, convite, einladung...and all the other language versions), and call it it something which is not misleaading. Even better, much better, go back to how it was, so we can see whether someone has accepted our invitation ot not shared or not.

That is what your users, many paying well for usage, actually want. It matters to US.

Need more support?