cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I know when someone accesses a shared folder?

How can I know when someone accesses a shared folder?

graphicsquirrel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I used to be able to share a folder with someone, send them a link, and then be able to hover over their little icon to see if they had accessed the folder.  This is very important when I am trying to meet a deadline and want to be sure the link has been received and used.  I checked "recents", but it didn't have any lines about people opening shared folders.  I also checked "sharing", but according to that page, I haven't created any links since last year sometime, and I know that isn't true.  Has dropbox removed the ability to check to see if the link has been used or the folder been joined?  Is there some other way to see if someone has accessed a shared folder or used a link that was sent to them?  Thanks!

23 Replies 23

mbrandt
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

No. Just open your folder. Take a look at the picture attached. The files of the folder are listed on the left, and the names of the people on the right. MB is me. The other person I shared the folder with "c" hasn't accessed it yet. I know this by placing my cursor on top of the "c" and the message in grey (I covered her email address to protect her privacy) appears. Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 1.44.04 PM.png

DigitalDawg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Cviegasb,
You have expressed it so well that I can't add anything to your portrayal - except that I very much agree. Question: is anyone at DropBox listening?

JMRhodes
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Know what? I've gone back to using Hightail. No complications, works a dream.

M_RET
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I totally agree that this is a problem, I work with people around the world in many time zones, with different levels of understanding of how dropbox works and sometimes with limited internet. Not knowing if they have accessed the folder is a huge pain, as I cannot pinpoint when someone is having problems. I like dropbox a lot, but just cannot imagine why anyone would want to remove this function... Especially, it works with files! if you select a file (not a folder) you can go in the activity log and check if someone has viewed it. So this gives you some indication about the folder (if they have viewed a file in it, they have accessed the folder). But still, it does not give a garantee of access to the folder if there are not files in it yet. If we have it for files, why not for folders?

Need more support?