Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make my Online-only files Local again?

MixEdith New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

How can I change from [Online-only] to Local? In which menu?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: changing Sync direction

Super User II
Super User II

Have a look at this article

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Super User II
Super User II

Have a look at this article

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Can't switch folders from "online only" to local?

davis_arielle New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a very large dropbox account, but when I originally set up the app, I only wanted a few folders and subfolders to sync with my computer. Now that I want to sync a few more subfolders, I can only ever set them to be online only, even after changing my preferences to say that new content should default to local. 

How do I get my folders to start downloading to my computer?

Re: Can't switch folders from "online only" to local?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @davis_arielle!

From what you mentioned there, it sounds like you've changed the default for new files to sync to your computer as local through the desktop app preferences, right?

If so, this setting only applies to new files that will sync to your desktop app. For the files/folders that are already synced to your desktop Dropbox folder, you can right click on the file/folder and from the menu choose "Smart sync - Local".

Can you let me know if you've tried the above and if you have, and they still appear as "online only", can you let me know the sync status of your desktop app and version you have installed?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

That's correct, and that's what I tried to do. However, when I right click on the folders in my desktop Dropbox folder, I don't see any option to change smart sync. So everything still says online only. 

The app says everything is synced, and my version number is v81.4.195.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for that info @davis_arielle!

Are you possibly using a third-party file browser or the native file browser for your OS (File Explorer/Finder)?

Also, can you clarify for me which OS and version your computer is running?

Finally, please just let me know which Dropbox plan you currently have for your account, you can check this from your Plan tab here if you're not sure.

Keep me posted - cheers!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I was using the file browser that pops up after clicking the folder window in the Dropbox app. Running OS High Sierra 10.13.6. On the Dropbox Business Advanced plan.

For some reason, after I went to check, the sync now button finally appeared, so I thought I was good to go. Unfortunately, after the sync started, I ran into another error where I've been sitting at "1 sec left" for 20 minutes. Is there any way around that?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @davis_arielle, thanks for getting back to me!

If you haven't already, can you force quit the Dropbox app on your computer and start it up again to see if that does the trick? To do so, please open up your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder and force quit any instances of the Dropbox application.

Also, can you just confirm for me as I was unsure from your previous reply, are you now able to see the "Smart sync" option in your context menu?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne

Mark M.130
Explorer | Level 4

Where exactly does that article answer the question? I have a file that is "stuck" as online only, and I don't seem to have any way of downloading it. I have plenty of room on my local hard drive for this.

It shows up when I try to search for it in the Dropbox Search bar on my window tray application, but there is no option anywhere to switch it from Online Only to Local.

Help please!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Mark M.130, I'd be more than happy to help!

If you scroll down to a section in the article "Start with Smart Sync" and select your computer's OS, you'll find a list of steps on how to:

• Make content online-only.
  • Sync online-only content to your computer.
  • Choose a default setting for new content. 

If you're having trouble making files local from online-only, could you clarify for me what happens when you:

1. Right-click on a file you want to make local. 
  2. Select the Smart Sync option from the drop-down menu. 
  3. Click on Local

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?