cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make regular Dropbox backups of a single folder on an external drive?

How can I make regular Dropbox backups of a single folder on an external drive?

insch
Helpful | Level 6

I have a current project folder, hosted on an external drive, that I'd like to make regular Dropbox backups of. The folder is around 370GB so it isn't practical to copy the whole folder to Dropbox each time.

Since there doesn't seem to be a way of doing continual backups of a single folder from an external drive (I know I can do the whole drive but it is 6TB) I am trying to find another way of making regular backups of this folder on Dropbox. Is there any way of selecting all the files in my local project folder and uploading them to my Dropbox version of that folder but then selecting an option where Dropbox only copies the changed or new files? Then I could do manual backups periodically to Dropbox.

Or is there another way I could achieve the same end result?

By the way, I use Dropbox to backup folders from my main Mac HD as well. That is where my local Dropbox folder resides.

Thanks
3 Replies 3

Re: How can I make regular Dropbox backups of a single folder on an external drive?

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @insch, thanks for posting today and happy Friday!

If you can't backup your entire external hard drive, I can only think of one workaround.

You can move the folder from your external drive to your local Dropbox folder in batches.

After each batch is synced, you can use Smart sync or Selective sync to free up the space and then move on to the next batch and so on.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: How can I make regular Dropbox backups of a single folder on an external drive?

insch
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you - that's helpful. I do hope that this becomes a new feature - being able to backup a single folder from an ext drive.

Hannah
Dropboxer
No worries!

You can definitely post an idea about this on our idea board for others to up-vote.

If you need anything else, make sure to give us a shout!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    insch Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?