cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make sure to avoid deletion of my files?

Re: How can I make sure to avoid deletion of my files?

AndersDK
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Daphne .

Thanks a lot for the reply. It cleared up some uncertainties.

But I have some commentary questions. 

"Depending on your account's plan, you can restore files that were deleted within the version history window. Eg. for a Basic and Plus accounts, this is 30 days."

- What is 'version history window' ? Is it a window on the website or is it simply another way of saying 30(or 180 or 10 years) days period of time?

"If you don’t mind using the website, you could indeed avoid using the desktop app at all and use just the website with the online integrations to edit your files.

This way, any actions or changes made on your computer won’t affect your files in Dropbox at all."

-Thanks for clarifying that! 🙂

"Also, if you’re working out of specific folders at a time, you could use selective sync to choose only specific folders to sync and reduce the possible affects to one or two folders."

- Does this mean, that if unwanted deletions started to happen, it would only affect the folders selected to sync ?

"The reference to the iPhoto library is that this file itself is a database file. Database files are known to cause sync issues which could result in data loss in some cases. (More info here)"

- Does this mean, that I have to find and delete the IPhoto library on the external harddrives I want to upload to dropbox before uploading or else I will risk unwanted deletion of other files uploaded to dropbox(if the other files are in the dropbox together with the Iphoto library)(Sort of like if the Iphoto files causes deletion of other files in the dropbox, if the Iphoto files are together with other files in the dropbox)(Or does it mean, that files on my harddrives could be deleted due to an attempt at uploading Iphoto library files to dropbox?)(Even if I don't have the dropbox folder or the dropbox app on my computer, but just uses the internet to acces dropbox?). ?

"As for antivirus and firewalls, any file on your computer that is quarantined won’t be accessible, or is seen as “deleted” while it’s quarantined.

Since the Dropbox folder is like any other folder on your computer, if a file is “infected” or picked up by quarantine, this could cause the file to be “deleted” from Dropbox until it’s released."

- Ah, but this only means that files on my computer can be seen as deleted, while they are just in quarantine or seen as infected by the antivirus or firewall, it doesn't mean that antivirus of firewall will result in files deleted from my dropbox account? (At least not, If I don't have a dropbox folder on my computer, don't have the dropbox app downloaded, but just access dropbox through the internet(browser) ?

"Now, for using Time Machine on your computer, the best option I would recommend to be to exclude the Dropbox folder from being backed up.

This way, if you need to restore your device from a previous backup, or reformat your drive etc, you simply remove the Dropbox app from your computer first, restore the device and then reinstall the app to sync your files back down."

- Thanks for the tip. 

"Otherwise, you can manually backup the Dropbox folder every so often to an external drive. I’d suggest checking out this thread for some more context.

For saving your Dropbox password, you’re spot on. This could just result in unwanted access to your Dropbox account, where someone might then delete content.

Dropbox subscriptions are automatic, so once you’ve set this up, you shouldn’t need to take further action to manually make monthly/annual payments. 

I hope that this covers all the questions you raised, but we can look into something in more detail if you’d like!"

-Thanks for the reply and the link in it. 

AndersDK
Helpful | Level 5

"A program edited or deleted a file - Do you have antivirus software? Are you compiling code? Does any program monitor the Dropbox folder? Do you have a database (like an iPhoto library for instance) in the Dropbox folder? If so, they might be able to delete files also. Don’t underestimate the severity of your quarantine scanner or freedom of programming.”

- I want to ask something specifically about this: If I don't have a dropbox folder or dropbox app on my computer, and only acces my dropbox through the dropbox website would having uploaded an Iphoto library or similar database to the dropbox mean risking uninteded file deletion - would the Iphoto library or other database be able to delete files in the dropbox?

And if the Iphoto library or another database was able to delete files in the dropbox, wouldn't I then be able to restore those files within the timeframe of 30 days, 180 days or 10 years(depending on which plan I would be subscribing to). ?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @AndersDK, let's answer the queries one by one.

Version history would be 30 days or 180 days, depending on your current plan, and refers to the amount of time you can restore deleted files, or rollback a file to an older version. 

If the Dropbox desktop application is installed, any deletions on the computer would delete them from the site, and vice versa. The only exception would be folders deselected in the selective sync window. 

Databases, like iPhoto, have frequent additions and deletions, even whenever you manipulate an image by adding a tag. The database is actually a large folder, which is visible on the Dropbox site and Windows machines. Only the database itself, and those folders inside it, are affected when you delete or edit items in iPhoto, again if the desktop app is installed.

Firewalls/antivirus software can delete files from your Dropbox folder, since quarantining them moves them out of the Dropbox folder to a secure folder which only that app can access. If the desktop app is installed, the deletions will sync to the site.

If you don't have the Dropbox desktop application installed, then generally, apps on your machine can't delete or edit files on your Dropbox account, since there isn't a Dropbox folder.

Some apps do connect directly to Dropbox via the API, and you can see a list of these apps from here. Although the majority are most likely via your mobile device, some services also sync from your computer to your account. 

File can be recovered according to your plan, either 30 or 180 days. Permanent deletion of files (meaning, no possibility to recover them) can only be done from the deleted files page via the site, and not by any app.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AndersDK
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Jay .

Thanks for the reply, it did help clarify matters. 

Is the selective sync window something in the dropbox app?

If I upload an Iphoto library to the dropbox, and don't have the dropbox app or dropbox folder on my computer, will having the Iphoto library in the dropbox folder then potentially cause deletions in the dropbox?

When you say that, without the dropbox dektop application installed, apps in general can't delete or edit files on my dropbox account, does this mean that they can delete or edit files in some instances and if so, which instances(Is it in instances where they connect directly via the API?) 

Is it possible to disconnect apps from connecting via the API and if so, can it be done from the site?

What is the API?

Kind Regards

Anders

AndersDK
Helpful | Level 5

If I upload an Iphoto library to the dropbox, and don't have the dropbox app or dropbox folder on my computer, will having the Iphoto library in the dropbox folder then potentially cause deletions of other files(in the dropbox) than those in the Iphoto library( in the dropbox)? And will the Iphone library in the dropbox cause deletions by it's mere presence in the dropbox(or does it take more than that to cause deletions and if so, then what does it take?) ?

Jay
Dropboxer
The selective sync window is only on the Dropbox desktop application when it's installed.

The iPhoto database is stored on your local machine. Without the Dropbox desktop application installed, there will be no Dropbox folder. So you can't move the iPhoto database to Dropbox, it simply isn't possible.

However, if you choose to upload the entire file to the Dropbox site, to back it up for instance, then that can be done, but it will not sync to your computer since there is no local Dropbox folder. Without any syncing, any changes you do on your machine will not sync to the Dropbox site.

Without a Dropbox folder to sync files, only apps connected to the API could delete or edit files. You can see a list of them using the link I provided previously, and disconnect them if need be. 

The API is a tool that developers can use to access Dropbox services and connect their apps to.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

AndersDK
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay .

Thanks for the reply. 

But I still need to know. If I upload the Iphoto library to the dropbox, will it then potentially cause deletions in the dropbox, even when I don't have the dropbox app installed or the dropbox folder on computer ?

Jay
Dropboxer
Uploading a file, like the iPhoto database, to the Dropbox site wont delete files from your account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

AndersDK
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Jay 

Okay, thansk for the clarification and thanks for the reply. 

Jay
Dropboxer
No worries, @AndersDK, enjoy your week ahead!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AndersDK Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?