cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I move files within Dropbox?

Highlighted

How can I move files within Dropbox?

Explorer | Level 3

I've been fishing around the Internet, YouTube and other places for simple directions on moving files within Dropbox, but none seem to work or to apply to me. I have a Macbook and am simply trying to move 2 files on my home page into a folder I created.

I do not seem to be able to get an option to "check" files...it just opens the file. I do not have an elipse (...) anywhere related to these files that says "move" so I can use that function.  I'd appreciate any help in executing this simple function. 

It's quite annoying that drag-and-drop or any simple ways users are accustomed to in moving files seems to have been ignored by Dropbox.  No need to reinvent the wheel on something this simple.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Why is it so darn difficult to move files within Dropbox?

Dropboxer

Hello @eabscott, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

From what you've mentioned, the issue might be if you're trying to move the files while on your Home page on the website. Since this shows a selection of Recent files etc, you would need to go to the Files tab to be able to move your files.

From the left panel you can click "All Files" or go to this page here.

In your Files page, you can use the checkboxes to the left of the file names to select some files. From there you can try dragging and dropping the files into a folder, or your can use the ellipsis under the selection of files on the right and select "Move". 

Let me know if that helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your quick response Daphne.  

The link you included takes me to "dropbox.com/home".  Here I see all my folders but no individual files (e.g., the ones I'm trying to move).  If I open the target folder, it DOES NOT include the files I'd like to move (just to baseline).

If I then hit either the links "Home" (which oddly shows as "dropbox.com/h") or "Shared" (which shows as "dropbox.com/share/recents") on the lefthand side, it takes me to a list which DOES include the files I'm trying to move. 

There is no ability to check a box next to these files on the left, no "Move" direction anywhere, and the right link (...) only has the options: "Remove", "Download" or "Add Comment". If I click on the file, it opens the file itself.

Mind you, this is a file that my partner uploaded.  Nonetheless, as I have access to it, I assume I'm able to move it.  The only thing I can think is that if she uploaded it, only she can move it.  But that seems to defeat the purpose of collaborative software...

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @eabscott.

Since these are shared files that you're trying to move, can you let me know if you have edit access to these files? If you go to your Files page under www.dropbox.com/home (I understand how that URL could be misleading) can you view the shared files from there at all?

If not, then it would suggest that these are individually share files, which you would only be able to see from within your Sharing tab.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Daphne.  Indeed, can't see them in Home, only Shared.  So the issue is that the sender didn't give share privileges?  So that is something she would turn on/off on her side?

On the topic of notifications, I notice that when files are uploaded into the shared folder, a notification is NOT sent to my partner even though all the notification options do seem to be checked on my side.  Is that something that has to be turned on, on her side, as well?  I simply want her to be alerted when I upload a file...

Sorry to ask these questions, but the software seems to be much less intuitive than I would have thought.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for checking on that @eabscott.

If you're seeing the files in your Shared tab only, then the files were shared individually. So that you can see them alongside all your other files, you can request they add the files to a folder and share the folder with you instead.

You'll be able to move the folder to any other location within your Dropbox account, but please bear in mind that moving any files outside of that shared folder will delete the file for the other members too. 

However, I hope that moving the folder containing those files would do the trick for you.

Hope that helps!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?