cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I move the Dropbox folder without moving its contents?

Highlighted

How can I move the Dropbox folder without moving its contents?

New member | Level 2
I have two Dropbox folders on my computer, and they are on different internal drives. One folder is from an old Dropbox installation, and the other is from a new Dropbox installation. For example:

New = C:/users/me/dropbox
Old = D:/dropbox

I would like the old location (d:/dropbox) to be the actual Dropbox folder. I know this can be done, but I don’t want the contents of the new folder (c:/users/me/dropbox) to be moved to the old one (d:/dropbox).

Is it possible to just select “d:/dropbox” as the official Dropbox folder WITHOUT moving the contents of “c:/users/me/dropbox“ into it?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How can I move the Dropbox folder without moving its contents?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @KSereby,

@KSereby wrote:
Is it possible to just select “d:/dropbox” as the official Dropbox folder WITHOUT moving the contents of “c:/users/me/dropbox“ into it?

Not exactly, but you can use a simple trick. Rename your old "D:/dropbox" to something else, temporary; something like "D:/dropboxAlt", for example. Next you can just move present Dropbox directory to "D:/dropbox", without issue. Now you can replace content of "D:/dropbox" with the temporary stored "D:/dropboxAlt". In such a way you don't have to move big content (I assume "D:/dropbox" is biggest) between drives, but just between folder of the same drive, which is much faster and lighter. That's it. 😉

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Hi @KSereby,

@KSereby wrote:

Not exactly, but you can use a simple trick. Rename your old "D:/dropbox" to something else, temporary; something like "D:/dropboxAlt", for example. Next you can just move present Dropbox directory to "D:/dropbox", without issue. Now you can replace content of "D:/dropbox" with the temporary stored "D:/dropboxAlt". In such a way you don't have to move big content (I assume "D:/dropbox" is biggest) between drives, but just between folder of the same drive, which is much faster and lighter. That's it. 😉

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Thank you very much for your reply! I’ll try your workaround and post my results.
Highlighted

Ok, but why don't you select initially the right location described in "How to run an advanced reinstall of Dropbox" topic? Take a look on the part for Windows, especially point 8: "Select the Dropbox folder location, if not in the default location". Could be easier, but in some cases - inapplicable. In all cases the way, described in my previous post, above, will work.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
I didn’t select it at first because I didn’t have the SSD when I installed Dropbox. It was just a matter of my own bad planning.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?