cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I move the file out of dropbox folder, I want to stop Syncing

Highlighted

How can I move the file out of dropbox folder, I want to stop Syncing

Explorer | Level 3

How can I move the file out of dropbox folder, I want to stop Syncing... need serious help, it has finished my data twice now

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: How can I move the file out of dropbox folder, I want to stop Syncing

Dropboxer

Hi there @Beehivetalk, I'm sorry to hear about that!

Just to clarify, do you have the desktop app installed on your computer and want to remove a file from your Dropbox folder to stop it syncing to Dropbox?

If so, can you try just dragging and dropping the file from Dropbox to another location on your computer?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for getting to me, please I have tried moving the file to my desktop but they won't move. I have the desktop app, I mistakenly Syn it without knowing it's going to finish my data. please help 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Beehivetalk!

Are you getting an error when you try and move the files to your desktop? If so, please send me a screenshot of this.

Also, if you're trying to move the files from within the desktop app interface, can you try moving the files from the Dropbox folder in your File Explorer/Finder window instead?

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Innovate and allow users to move their data out of Dropbox freely

New member | Level 2

It may not seem intuitive right? But let's have some ethical design and allow users who trusted your service - your team - to get back the data they stored with Dropbox whenever they want! Let's be aware, and care, that it is probably photos for a lifetime that they have there. Or the work of an entire career. Or both. It is my case anyway and I have been struggling to get my own personal data back for three weeks. For three weeks, I have been working on different ways to get my data - without paying a third party -, but there are always bugs and things that don't work. I am afraid I won't be able to get back some of the data in good condition or to get it at all, as there are some major bugs. While I am spending almost all my free time on this matter (believe me I have other things to do), I even wonder if the GDPR could help me get my files back. 

You see... in my mind, this is what I was paying Dropbox for : storing my personal data safely while having it more accessible than on a hardrive. And now I feel completely bethrayed. After paying more than 700$ to Dropbox over the years, there are folders that just won't download and no proper messaging is explaining why this is happening. It feels like this "feature", this user task and need of taking the data back was not interesting enough for Dropbox to care about. Funny enough, the "delete account" function says my data will be deleted. I believe Dropbox is completely missing the point there, and more importantly, the opportunity to create a service people can trust. Don't try to be like Google, but do the opposite. Allow users to use your products without using them.  

**Note** I make myself available to do a user interview with your UX researchers. I trully hope you do qualitative UX research at Dropbox, and that you do it also with people who are quitting? This could help your teams to better understand what's at stake : our lifes' digital memories  

Thanks for considering this Dropbox and good luck! 

Pascale 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?