cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I pause or quit syncing via the desktop app on Mac?

How can I pause or quit syncing via the desktop app on Mac?

Eleanor B.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The Dropbox icon on the dock (MacOS 10.15.5) is off (no dot), yet Dropbox is still copying updates into its store.  If I want to pause all that while I make some changes, is there a way to do that?  Also, what does the presence or absence of the dot  in the Dock signify?

Thanks, Eleanor

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Eleanor B.1, welcome back, it's great to hear from you again!

If the Dropbox icon appears on your menu bar, next to your computer's clock, it means that it's running. If you haven't paused it, it will sync any changes you make to the content in your account. 

You can check this article out for the relevant steps to pausing the desktop app from syncing. 

As for the dot that you mention, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of it, so that I have a better visual understanding? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Eleanor B.1, welcome back, it's great to hear from you again!

If the Dropbox icon appears on your menu bar, next to your computer's clock, it means that it's running. If you haven't paused it, it will sync any changes you make to the content in your account. 

You can check this article out for the relevant steps to pausing the desktop app from syncing. 

As for the dot that you mention, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of it, so that I have a better visual understanding? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Eleanor B.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply!  That is helpful.  However, I don't see how to Like it, or how to mark it as Accepted Solution...

Eleanor

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @Eleanor B.1

My post was marked as a solution for you and you can like any post on the Dropbox Community by clicking the thumbs-up button that's on the bottom left of each post. 

If you have any other questions in the future, don't hesitate to give us another nudge.

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

lkfraboni
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The dots under an app means the app is open and using memory. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lkfraboni Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Eleanor B.1 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?