cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I recover files deleted when using the computer backup feature?

Highlighted

How can I recover files deleted when using the computer backup feature?

Explorer | Level 3

I recently installed the Dropbox app onto my PC. The default app setting apparently caused Dropbox to sync not only my existing Dropbox folders, but added a sync for my entire Desktop, Download and Documents folders--taking very large PC based files and trying to upload them into my Dropbox cloud.  The folders were uploaded until there was no more room in my Dropbox account.  When I deleted these folders from my Dropbox so as to go back to the original folder structure, the Dropbox sync function went ahead and deleted the corresponding folders off of my PC as well.  So I went back to Dropbox and recovered the deleted folders, but instead of restoring 100% of the files that were inside those folders on my PC, Dropbox only recovered the files it had been able to upload before it stopped due to size restrictions.  The sync erased all the files from my PC and there is no record of them there.  Is there anything I can do to restore the "lost" PC files? 

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Automatic Desktop Sync

Dropboxer

Hi @Mark S.101, thanks for messaging today.

I'm sorry to hear about the files not being restored. It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Just to be certain, have you first disabled the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article?

If so, and the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the Dropbox site.

However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Let me know how it goes.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Automatic Desktop Sync

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Jay.  No, I went blindly into downloading the app unaware of this new default creating a MyPC folder sync.  I have been a Dropbox user for years and was simply loading the App onto my new-ish laptop.  When I saw that Dropbox had created these new upload folders, I deleted them in Dropbox which then erased them from my synced hard drive as well.  So bad on me for not being suspicious and checking these blogs first.

I am now planning to close my Dropbox account and am looking into other storage options since it seems there is no way to turn off this new computer back-up option even if I start over.  The "Manage backup" tab is non-existent under Preferences/Backups so no way to switch off this unwanted feature that uploads content that I do not want to store in Dropbox but would like to keep on my laptop Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders.. 

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.  I will simply need to move on.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?