Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I remove 'Send with Transfer' from the Mac contex menu?

Explorer | Level 4

How can I remove 'Send with Transfer' from the Mac contex menu.

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: How do I send a Dropbox file transfer from my Mac?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Robert J.14

To create a transfer from the Dropbox folder on your Mac follow the steps below. 

1. Open the Dropbox folder on your computer.
  2. Right-click the file or folder you’d like to add to the transfer.
  3. Click Send with Transfer…
    • To set the expiration date or set a password for your transfer, click the gear icon
    • To add more files, click the plus icon
  4. Click Next.
  5. Click Copy link or Email transfer to share your transfer link.

Note  You’ll only see Views and Downloads for transfers sent via email.

Learn all about Dropbox transfers. 

Let me know if this worked for you. Cheers! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona.  Thank you.  Dropbox changed my subject line.  What I asked was:

How can I remove 'Send with Transfer' from the Mac contex menu.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Oups!  Thanks for letting me know the request is completely different that the title. 

I renamed it. That's a great question. If you are on a Business team, your admin can disable this feature. If you are on a personal account, I will have to check if there is a way to disable this feature for a personal account. 

I would like to also report your feedback about this. Kindly let me know why you wish to disable this feature? Is there a concern you wish to share with us please? 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Fiona.  This is something added to the Mac menu by Dropbox  If you use a Mac you probably know that when Dropbox is installed it adds 'Move to Dropbox' the the Mac's context menu. Here's a link to show what I mean incase you don't use a Mac. 

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/os-x-delete-the-annoying-move-to-dropbox-from-contextual-men...

I don't use any Dropbox functions so I remove this from my menu.  I have removed this.  Now the problem is Dropbox has also added 'Send with Transfer' to the menu.  There is a way (per the above link) to remove 'Move to Dropbox', but I've found no way to remove 'Send with Transfer.'

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If the Dropbox application is installed and running, there is currently no way for this feature to not appear as an option on your local files. 

Fiona

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona.  Thanks for your imput. Agree.  Doesn't affect any Dropbox files.  It just makes the context menu on the Mac itself ackward as it's so easy to click 'Move to Dropbox' or 'Send with Transfer.'  That's why some Mac users remove the unwanted item(s) from the context menu.  This is a Mac menu item that Dropbox automatically installs.  So was just asking if anyone has found a way to remove 'Send with Transfer' from the Mac context menu like the procedure (which works) to remove 'Move to Dropbox' from the Mac context menu.  Didn't mean for this to be such a long thread. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Long discussions are great when leading to conclusions (and fixes, because you also fixed the title of this thread here! ).

I understand having the ability to remove this option would be convenient. Hope we can offer a way to do this in the future. 

I appreciate your feedback about this @Robert J.14

Fiona

Highlighted

Re: How can I remove 'Send with Transfer' from the Mac contex menu?

Helpful | Level 6

I wonder if drobox created an additional file similar to DropboxHelperinstaller. I would try renaming other files alongside it to see how the program reacts.

Originally I landed here looking for a solution for windows. For anyone else in the same boat, editing the folowing registry value should do the trick.

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\DropboxExt

from the default string value "{ECD97DE5-3C8F-4ACB-AEEE-CCAB78F7711C}" to something like "old{ECD97DE5-3C8F-4ACB-AEEE-CCAB78F7711C}"

This removed all context menu items linked to dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: How can I remove 'Send with Transfer' from the Mac contex menu?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Hillaero, thanks for participating to this discussion and for posting your workaround. 

If you see additional installer Dropbox files in your system, please send me a screenshot, let me know what version of Dropbox you have installed on this device and I'd be happy to investigate. 

Thanks! 

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?