cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't delete folder

How can I remove a folder from my account?

EricValPat
New member | Level 2

First of all, this question isn't really about missing files & folders. None of the categories seems to fit my problem - shouldn't there be an "Other" category? - so I posted in this category just because it at least deals with files & folders.

My problem is I accidentally downloaded a (large) folder from a friend's Dropbox page to my Dropbox page & now I can't remove it.

Clicking the elipse (. . .) doesn't offer me a delete option - presumably because it's not my folder to begin with. If I delete it from the Dropbox folder on my computer, it immediately synchs with my Dropbox page & it's back again within minutes. The only solution I can think of is to uninstall Dropbox software & close my account. Can anybody tell me some other way to get rid of an unwanted folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

If this is a shared folder that you were invited to, then you can remove it from your Dropbox on the Sharing page.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

If this is a shared folder that you were invited to, then you can remove it from your Dropbox on the Sharing page.

View solution in original post

EricValPat
New member | Level 2
Excellent, Rich, thank you so much!

Ed
Dropboxer
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

hec
New member | Level 2

Hi Rich, I had a similar problem and so I followed the same general directions. I went to the Shared area and simply removed my name from the list of share recipients. I thought that would fix the trouble completely.

UPDATE: I began to write that I still see the entire folder and all contents of the project I was shared with. I am no longer working on this project and so wanted to delete the Dropbox and entire working folder from my pc. As I said, it was still there, but when I went to take a photo to attach with this note, I see now it has been removed. (except Dropbox)

What this means is, your PC and Dropbox server will take some time to 'refresh' and recognize you are no longer shared, before removing, about 3-5 min. Thank you for the tip.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?