Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I remove a shared folder from my account?

Explorer | Level 3

I have a folder that was shared with me and I would like to remove it from my Dropbox, but it is locked. And it is also not syncing to my Dropbox online account. I am not sure how to remove this folder. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Shared Folder Locked

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

It looks like the folder itself is locked by the OS, as shown by the padlock icon and the ‘Locked’ checkmark in the Get Info window.

You’ll need to unlock the folder via the OS to then delete it. Try these steps to see if they help at all. 

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @mattjmaples, thanks for joining the Community!

You can remove a shared folder from your account either temporarily or permanently using the steps here.

Hope this helps!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the response Jay. The problem is that the folder that I cannot remove isn't showing up on dropbox.com. I'm only seeing the folder on my computer but not online. The folder has a red circle with a line through it and my software on my computer says I have a sync error. Is there something else that I could try?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Could you try quitting the Dropbox desktop application from the system tray/menu bar, and then try deleting that folder completely?

Let me know how it goes, and if you experience the issue again, please could you forward a screenshot showing how the folder appears, while hiding the name if possible. Thanks!

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I tried quitting the Dropbox desktop application, but I am still unable to remove the folder that I would like to delete. To summarize, I am trying to delete a folder in my dropbox account that was shared with me, but I now no longer have access to. Also, this folder for some reason is not showing on my dropbox.com account online. I quit the Dropbox app and was still unable to delete the folder. Following are some screenshots. First the folder info for the folder:

Here is a screenshot of the folder in my Finder application. This is the main level of my Dropbox folder. The Qubedocs folder is what I'm trying to remove and this is the error that I see when I try to delete the folder. 

As I've said, I do not see the Qubedocs folder at all when I access my account online via dropbox.com. This is only this way on my computer, this folder is NOT on my iPhone or iPad apps. Thank you for the help with this. 

2020-03-17_15-04-11.jpg2020-03-17_15-09-53.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

It looks like the folder itself is locked by the OS, as shown by the padlock icon and the ‘Locked’ checkmark in the Get Info window.

You’ll need to unlock the folder via the OS to then delete it. Try these steps to see if they help at all. 

Keep me posted!

Jay

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your help Jay. I had tried to remove the folder using the steps that you listed before, but it didn't work. But you did get me thinking about this problem differently realizing this was a Mac OS issue rather than a Dropbox issue. So I found a Terminal command that worked perfectly:

Using the Terminal
Step 1

Click the Finder icon (which looks like a square smiling face) to open a Finder window. Open the Applications folder and then the Utilities application folder. Inside the Utilities folder, double-click the Terminal application icon to launch the terminal.

Step 2

Type "sudo chflags -R nouchg" (without the quotes) in the Terminal window and press the space bar. Drag the folder you wish to unlock into the Terminal window and press the "Enter" key.

Enter your account password when prompted and press the "Enter" key to unlock the file. Click the X at the upper left of the window to close the Terminal window and save the changes.

Tip
  • Be careful when entering commands into the Terminal window. Entering an incorrect command could damage the information stored on your computer.

Thank you to ALEXANDER POIRIER for your extremely helpful article. 

https://itstillworks.com/unlock-folders-mac-desktop-9789.html

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

It’s good to know I was able to point you in the right direction, @mattjmaples!

Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?