cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I remove the Desktop folder in my Dropbox folder?

Highlighted

How can I remove the Desktop folder in my Dropbox folder?

New member | Level 2

there is one folder created in my dropbox   folder name is  desktop

if i m save any file in dropbox   the file goes to desktop 

i wann  to save file in only my dropbox 

please help i need to remove that folder 

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: folder issue

Dropboxer

Hello @akram farran, thanks for checking in. 

It sounds like you're referring to computer backup. 

In this case, you can check out this article which talks about how to turn the feature off and move the files back to their original locations. 

Let me know if you have any trouble along the way or if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Help!!!!

Explorer | Level 3

I mistakenly set up a sync for a large folder that I didn't want to send to Dropbox, now my space on Dropbox is maxed out. How do I remove the folder from Dropbox without deleting it from my PC files?

Highlighted

Re: Help!!!!

Dropboxer

Hi @26dmkassin, thanks for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community. 

From your description, it seems like you're referring to computer backup, which adds computer folders (like Desktop, Downloads, and Documents) to your Dropbox folder. 

I moved your post to this thread, where another user had a similar concern. 

When you have the chance, check what I suggest and let me know if you have any trouble along the way. 

Thanks again!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Help!!!!

Explorer | Level 3

Lusil thanks for replying. You said I should check out what you wrote n "this thread" but ddn't tell me how to find it. So how do I see the answer?

I'm not looking for instructions on backing up or the automatically generated folders, I'm talking about a folder that shouldn't have syncedto Dropbox but did, and now I have no more space. Dropbox doesn't offer a choice to delete a folder or file without affecting the source files i.e. my pc. So how do I preserve my pc files but clear out Dropbox from files that  don't want stored there?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @26dmkassin, my colleague @Lusil has already merged you to the appropriate thread.

Try following her instructions in this specific post to disable the computer backup, and then move the files back to their old location on your machine.

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again for replying, but ow that I have stoped the Backup process and left the files and folders on my PC I still have no more space left in Dropbox. If I read the article correctly stopping the backup allows me to view the content on my desktop but the article doesn't tell me whether or not I can now delete my files from Dropbox and still have them on my desktop.

Can you answer this please???

Highlighted

Re: How can I remove the Desktop folder in my Dropbox folder?

Dropboxer

If the files haven't moved back automatically, try dragging them out of the local Dropbox folder to their former locations on your machine.

This will delete them from the Dropbox site and free up space on your Dropbox account.

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?